PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Fun with a new box of reeds

I'm currently loving my Boston Sax reeds. Not had a duff one yet.....
Well..that's the kiss of death then....

Boston Saxophone Shop reeds are made by Rigotti whose own reeds are very consistent and long lasting. Rigotti also make reeds for Lupifaro, Roberto's Winds, Regal Queens and Francois Louis, all of which seem to be pretty good.

I've just bought a box of baritone Boston Sax reeds from Headwind in Bristol and Roberto's from reedsonline in France and am comparing them with Rigotti Golds which have been my favourites for several years.

Rhys

I have found over the years that the more I practice, the more I notice slight differences in reeds and the more discriminating I become about which reeds are acceptable. When I was practicing 4 or more hours a day preparing for my master's recital it seemed as if none of my reeds played as well as I wanted.

I have decided the way to save money on reeds is to never practice so most of the reeds in a box play "pretty good". ;)
Interestingly enough, when I'm playing and practicing a ton, I never notice any reed issues, only when I'm not well practiced. When my chops are up to snuff I can just make them do what I want them to.

I wet, play each reed for 20 mins or so, and label each one with a number. If it plays really well, I give it an additional mark. A couple of real good reeds will be reserved for a gig or rehearsal. The others I rotate each practice session, no matter how they play. Sometimes a duff reed will eventually play well. I've never had any success scraping, adjusting or anything - it always seems more trouble than it's worth, and I'd rather get on with my practice.
To "wet"a reed by sticking it into your mouthfor a few minutes is not enough. I use a plastic reedgaurd holder and place the rg+reed in a glas with water( just enogh to cover the end of the reed) for some hours or maybe over the night. The channels in the cane are soaking up water like all other tree materials ....
wetreed.JPG

So is there an advantage to having a filed Reed?

Not according to Vandoren:
Filed reeds, or French Cut as they are sometimes called, are reeds with straight horizontal line cut just above the bark. Unfiled reeds, or American Cut, are identified by their distinct “U” shape at the bottom of the vamp, and no line. This feature has very little, if any, influence on the tone color of the reed.

Do you have any findings yet Rhys? I’ve tried the BSS and FL reeds and am a regular user of Rigottis. All are good, slight differences but in the end I’m probably going to carry on using the Rigotti as the differences and possible benefits of the others aren’t really worth another £1 per reed to me. Of the three I probably like the FLs the most but they are a bit on the hard side and take a fair bit of breaking in.

Has anybody tried the Rigotti Wild Ones? I know, silly name and a lion on the box doesn’t help, who knew there were wild lions in the south of France, but there’s them as says they have a different cut.

Last edited:
Synthetics:

I WOULD NOT, COULD NOT, IN A BOX.
I WOULD NOT, COULD NOT, WITH A FOX.
I WILL NOT PLAY THEM IN A HOUSE.
I WILL NOT PLAY THEM HERE OR THERE.
I WILL NOT PLAY THEM ANYWHERE.
I DO NOT LIKE PLASTIQUE IN STRANDS.
I DO NOT LIKE THEM, SAM-I-AM.

Last edited:
I really don't care any more. If it's about the right strength then it's fine. The difference between makes is inconsequential. My only issue with reeds is still playing them when they are somewhat past their best. For example, sop reeds that are unwilling to play A3. :rofl:

Boston Saxophone Shop reeds are made by Rigotti whose own reeds are very consistent and long lasting. Rigotti also make reeds for Lupifaro, Roberto's Winds, Regal Queens and Francois Louis, all of which seem to be pretty good.
I will try the BSS reeds in my shop on Friday...
Any comments (I'm also a Rigotti Gold player)? How do strenghts compare?
Tried the Rigotti Wild, but the tip is to thin for me.....

Thanks, Guenne