All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Fun with a new box of reeds

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
It seems strange that both of the 3 samples were good reeds, I wonder if they have a different methodology for selecting sample reeds vs. standard reeds. Hard to imagine.
I found exactly the same thing when I bought a load of singles to try different brands, strengths etc. Odd, innit :confused2:

TheSooz

Café Supporter
I'm currently loving my Boston Sax reeds. Not had a duff one yet.....
Well..that's the kiss of death then....

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I'm currently loving my Boston Sax reeds. Not had a duff one yet.....
Well..that's the kiss of death then....

Boston Saxophone Shop reeds are made by Rigotti whose own reeds are very consistent and long lasting. Rigotti also make reeds for Lupifaro, Roberto's Winds, Regal Queens and Francois Louis, all of which seem to be pretty good.

I've just bought a box of baritone Boston Sax reeds from Headwind in Bristol and Roberto's from reedsonline in France and am comparing them with Rigotti Golds which have been my favourites for several years.

Rhys

TheSooz

Café Supporter
Good to know.. thanks.
My BSS ones came from Headwind too. Not actually sure where else sells them.

turf3

I have found over the years that the more I practice, the more I notice slight differences in reeds and the more discriminating I become about which reeds are acceptable. When I was practicing 4 or more hours a day preparing for my master's recital it seemed as if none of my reeds played as well as I wanted.

I have decided the way to save money on reeds is to never practice so most of the reeds in a box play "pretty good". ;)
Interestingly enough, when I'm playing and practicing a ton, I never notice any reed issues, only when I'm not well practiced. When my chops are up to snuff I can just make them do what I want them to.

thomsax

I wet, play each reed for 20 mins or so, and label each one with a number. If it plays really well, I give it an additional mark. A couple of real good reeds will be reserved for a gig or rehearsal. The others I rotate each practice session, no matter how they play. Sometimes a duff reed will eventually play well. I've never had any success scraping, adjusting or anything - it always seems more trouble than it's worth, and I'd rather get on with my practice.
To "wet"a reed by sticking it into your mouthfor a few minutes is not enough. I use a plastic reedgaurd holder and place the rg+reed in a glas with water( just enogh to cover the end of the reed) for some hours or maybe over the night. The channels in the cane are soaking up water like all other tree materials ....
wetreed.JPG

So is there an advantage to having a filed Reed?

Not according to Vandoren:
Filed reeds, or French Cut as they are sometimes called, are reeds with straight horizontal line cut just above the bark. Unfiled reeds, or American Cut, are identified by their distinct “U” shape at the bottom of the vamp, and no line. This feature has very little, if any, influence on the tone color of the reed.

Members online

No members online now.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom