support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Francesca has just joined.

Francesca

Hi,

Just started saxophone lessons as a retirement treat at the the grand age of 60. I’m hoping this won’t be too much of a disadvantage. I’ve played quite a few instruments very badly in the past but even if I crucify my Jean Paul alto I can still admire the instrument as an object of great beauty.

Just started saxophone lessons as a retirement treat at the the grand age of 60. I’m hoping this won’t be too much of a disadvantage. I’ve played quite a few instruments very badly in the past

You just described me at age 60. 7 years on and I'm still loving it. I sometimes wonder how it would have been if I had found the sax earlier and not wasted my time on the other instruments.

<SNIP>but even if I crucify my Jean Paul alto I can still admire the instrument as an object of great beauty.
That reminds me of the comment my mother made after I bought my tenor.
"If you don't continue playing, it will still look good as a display piece"
Still playing though!
After wanting to start playing the saxophone since I was about 20, I said that I would start playing when I had some spare time, like after my retirement .....
I finaly started playing when I was in my late 30's. That was almost 20 years ago. I am a slow learner ......

Welcome, Francesca! Few things in retirement are as rewarding as working to play music. It's a good form of self-expression (as it painting or writing) and provides a physical and mental challenge to be met daily, or nearly so. Without that, you can only spend so much time fishing or doting on grandchildren.

The saxophone is one of the more forgiving instruments when it comes to learning. If you already read music, then you already have a big advantage over most beginners. I was 60 last weekend... but I started in my early 50s... I've struggled with finding time though. Now I am to all intents and purposes retired since last Thursday... so I am hoping more playing will happen.

A point I often make is tp find a community band/orchestra to start playing with others straightaway - there are groups that take complete beginners, so don't feel shy about joining.

Hi,

Just started saxophone lessons as a retirement treat at the the grand age of 60. I’m hoping this won’t be too much of a disadvantage. I’ve played quite a few instruments very badly in the past but even if I crucify my Jean Paul alto I can still admire the instrument as an object of great beauty.
Hi Francesca,
At 55, I started last playing Sax last year and am having great fun. A few frustrating bits along the way (some tears and rude words), but I'm seeing progress and really enjoying it. I hope you have a blast, I've certainly got the bug.

Back
Top Bottom