support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Forestone reeds

guyfromthesticks

Locality
Alexandria, Scotland
Hi just a wee bit of info if your thinking of a forestone black bamboo reed, the comparison chart says equivalent to RJS 2h I would say mines feels more like a 3m I'm not criticising it's beautifully made and presented just hard I've ordered a soft to see what its like, saying that it plays well. In my opinion sounds better than my Hahn reeds but I'm no Stan Getz by any stretch of the imagination, also the fact its black does make it really hard to align in poor light on an HR mouthpiece but as I said beautifully made.

recently gave these a try out of curiousity having used fibracells for years. not expecting much i was and am really pleasantly surprised. i had a medium black bamboo, and once it had settled down and been played in a bit, it really rocked. loads of projection, great bottom end and slips really well into the altissimo range. the only thing to my ears was that the sound felt a little narrower in comparison to the fibracell, but certainly better then any natural reed i've tried (they all seem so stuffy and constipated to me. but thats probably just my poor ability.)

I've been playing M black bamboo tenor for a month or two and it seems to be softening significantly already. Still very playable and likes to go altissimo but swapping over to RJS 2M was to a noticeably harder reed which had been the other way around when I started with the Forestone

Also using baritone M black bamboo... good at present but my unsophisticated baritone embouchure means that I go straight into uncontrolled altissimo orbit on F#3

I've been playing M black bamboo tenor for a month or two and it seems to be softening significantly already. Still very playable and likes to go altissimo but swapping over to RJS 2M was to a noticeably harder reed which had been the other way around when I started with the Forestone

Also using baritone M black bamboo... good at present but my unsophisticated baritone embouchure means that I go straight into uncontrolled altissimo orbit on F#3

Hi Ivan glad to hear that that's about a fortnight now. I still like it but did think about trying a RJS last night but decided to give it another few weeks.

Also, for few unaddressable reasons, reeds comparison charts almost never work.
The only (expensive) way is trying them.

Back
Top Bottom