All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Forestone Reed

oldblower

Just finished trying out a forestone 2.5. The long and short of my try out is they are great! Just to put things in perspective i am a beginner to the world of saxophone and have only been playing for a little while, my primary instrument being the trumpet.

What impressed me the most is the lack of phaffing about as with cane reeds, put this one on and just play, and play, and play. Not sure how long it would last but a long time me thinks.

The cane reeds also irritated my lower lip which effected my trumpet low notes, this one dose not do that, bonus.

The sound quality was very similar to the rico 2.5 and the unbranded 2.5 that i had been scraping with a razor blade to make more comfortable. The only difference was i needed to work a bit harder to get the low notes to start with especially in sub tone.

Just a quick question to those who know why isn't everyone play these things? always the same, last for ages, sound pretty good.

I have only one mouthpiece for trumpet have had for years maybe thats why i think like this.

Last of all a massive thank you to tom who arranged for me to try the forestone.

koumou

I've got an F3 & F3.5 for my alto as well for my tenor and they work very well. Contrary to your findings, they play really well in the low register and sub-tone great.

How long have you been playing the sax and what mouthpiece are you using?

oldblower

only 6 months playing and mostly as a break from trumpet, playing on a mayer G5, had a graftonite C5 for a bit but it went back with the loan sax.

koumou

I assume you're on alto,yes? I used to have a Meyer G 6, it played well and produced real full and fat palm notes, although the lower registry was a little dry and not as easily produced as with other mouthpieces.
Forestone have such a great responce, which initially makes cane reeds feel dead by comparison. I am going to try some unfiled Forestones some time, I've read they're even better.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom