support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Flight Case Recommendation

Wade, out of interest. When the foam hardens, does it stick to the surface it expanded on? I'm thinking both about making an insert for a suitcase allowing me to travel 'incognitio'. How do you stop the two halves from sticking together when inverting the case and foaming the second half?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the question Filip. The foam can stick to the plastic wrap you're using, but that doesn't matter. It can be peeled off or lightly sanded if you prefer. Since the molding process gives you an exact fit, and you're still going to add felt/material, loosing a little bit of foam by sanding is OK or can even be necessary. The second half is kept from sticking to the first half by again using plastic wrap. Using two layers is best as it will always release. I've dedicated the cheap suitcase I've used for this purpose, so having the foam stick to the case was desirable. If you wish to have it removable, then you would need to build an "insert" that allows the foam to be removed. The insert should have sides that taper slightly. Any obstructions like handle fasteners on the inside, edge lips, etc. will need to be accommodated by building out the inner wall if the insert (with taper) so that those aren't an obstruction. Line your insert form (and the bottom of the case) with plastic wrap so that it doesn't stick and blow with foam as per original instructions. When using, you would need to put the insert into the suitcase each time and then the foam so that the foam doesn't rattle around.

IMG_20190314_190504536_HDR.jpg
Since this was the only I found where some partisan DIY was shown off I'd like to present you all with a little lamp I made..

I was talking with a guy from Hanson music this week. We were discussing the problems with shipping Saxophones. He mentioned something about a product that they were either using, or looking into using, that expanded to fit around saxophones. I think it might have been the following Instapak product.

Expanding foam void fill packing | Packaging2Buy | 380x460mm
That looks excellent for one off transport

Curiously similar to a product that secures posts in the ground

Wade, congratulations for your skills in making your custom cases, and thanks for sharing!
I'd be interested in knowing how to prepare the case shell and instrument before blowing the expandable foam. Any pointers to instruction would be greatly appreciated.