support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

First Live Performance - What To Play?

Well I survived...

Wasn't nervous walking up to the front but as soon as I started to play my heart went into overdrive -think I was adding unintentional vibrato! Couldn't hear the piano, just had to hope he was playing at the same speed as me. Made a couple of blunders, once on "and many times I've cried" (which was always the most likely bit to go wrong) and once on the last "don't leave me standing here" because I had intended to play a little variation I'd worked out but bottled out and forgot what to play. Powered/plodded through though.

And yes, the applause was nice! Even better were some of the comments in the interval. 10 minutes later I wanted to do it again!

I genuinely could not have done this a few years ago, I used to have major social anxiety problems. Very happy to have expanded my comfort zone a bit more. Ta for the supportive comments.

Next time I'll enjoy it DURING as well as after!

Steve, that is amazing. I can really relate, having recently played in public for the first time myself, and would never have believed myself capable. It is wonderful to get that feedback from the audience!

And yes, the applause was nice! Even better were some of the comments in the interval. 10 minutes later I wanted to do it again!

I genuinely could not have done this a few years ago, I used to have major social anxiety problems. Very happy to have expanded my comfort zone a bit more. Ta for the supportive comments.

Next time I'll enjoy it DURING as well as after!

Great, well done!

Next time look up as you're playing. Really gives you a boost when you see the audience getting into it!

Nerves are a funny thing! I've been playing on stage for about 4 years and I thought I was over the nervous bit until starting with The Dark Side, now, and only during Shine on you crazy diamond, I feel that I'm going to pass out! I can't explain why! It could be that I'm used to standing on the stage from the beginning of the song. In this number, I walk on just in time for my solo, play, and then walk off again. I'm not very comfortable with it but it's how the band want it, so there it must stay!
Well done on your first show. Those comments make you feel like a top banana! Have you got any more bookings to to?

Yes, very, very well done :)
I wouldn't have had the cojones to perform 'in public', even after 3 years, let alone 3 months.
I have occasionally responded to "Give us a tune!" from friends (or 'ex-friends'!!) but never stood-up in front of an 'audience' !!

You are over a big hurdle .... when's your next gig?!

[BTW, I found a really easy tune which most people know, only requires one octave, so you can play it Lower-Higher-Lower and it sounds quite good. I used to use it for trying-out saxes, as it wasn't too embarrassing!
"Love Me Tender" ..... based, I believe, on a song sung in the American Civil War, "Aura Lee".]

Last edited by a moderator: