support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tone adding Reverb to a live performance

This would do it: cheap clip on mic to vocal processor to speaker - all battery operated

Attachments

• 35661CCD-47B9-4752-AD4E-B87B31D8A865.jpeg
    35661CCD-47B9-4752-AD4E-B87B31D8A865.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 44
this mixer:

I have an Audio Technica AT2020 mic and a Shure SM57 mic, either of which are inputs to the mixer.
My IPad provides backing tracks, also as an input to the mixer. I listen to the mix via headphones.
The output of the mixer feeds via a USB sound card dongle into my Laptop to provide sound for Zoom/ FB live etc performances.
I can add reverb via Audacity if I'm recording but I'd like to add some reverb while performing live.

edit ... now I look at the mixer, what do the red knobs marked "FX" do ... I have them all set to zero.

I can add reverb via Audacity if I'm recording but I'd like to add some reverb while performing live.
Do you mean adding reverb to your sound whilst recording, not simply on playback? If so, you might encounter problems with latency - ie it takes longer for a signal to go through effects than otherwise.

Do you mean adding reverb to your sound whilst recording, not simply on playback? If so, you might encounter problems with latency - ie it takes longer for a signal to go through effects than otherwise.
It may be a case of moving up from Audacity to a DAW that will play you back with effects... I don't notice appreciable latency using my DAW as I am playing

But I do have to adjust a fractional latency in the recording, after playing

edit ... now I look at the mixer, what do the red knobs marked "FX" do ... I have them all set to zero.
They adjust how much of each channel gets sent to the "FX Send" output socket. You'd probably only turn this up on your mic'ed sax. The FX (effects, yes @Colin the Bear ! That's how it's marked on MandyH's mixer...) processor takes this in at its input, adds reverb or whatever, and you plumb its output into "Stereo aux return", and adjust the "Aux return" control to give you more or less of the effect on the "Main output". See pages 6 and 7 of the mixer manual.

With a standalone FX processor you shouldn't have any latency problems, they're designed for live use. Laptops/PCs, not so much...

So...not live then. Virtual. :rolleyes:

FX is short hand for effects innit?
Like XS is short hand for excess.
Give them a twiddle and adjust to taste.
Um ... live as in what I perform in my room is broadcast live.

the output from my mixer would go to my speaker if my audience was with me. Instead it’s going to my laptop to my audience wherever they are across the WWW.

No I mean adding reverb while playing live.
In that case as has been said, you need an fx processor. Years ago Alesis produced the Microverb and Nanoverb. They were pretty cheap then so something along those lines should be very cheap now. You’ll want some small ¼ “ jack cables to connect from and back to the mixer. Something digital with presets.

You'll want something like one of these and as Pete said, a couple of 1/4 [guitar] leads. When you get that, we'll walk you through how to connect it.
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 17.51.18.png

802_P0575_Top_XL.png

In the top row, are return and send for the effect device. You put the send into the input of the pedal. You take the output of the pedal and put it in the return jack that says "mono".
On the channel knob, there is a "send" (circled) that controls how much of the channel is sent to the effect.
You'll want a couple of these:
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 18.02.25.png

Last edited by a moderator: