support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Filed/unfiled reeds

Moz

I use Rico Jazz Select 3 Medium reeds. For no particular reason I use unfiled reeds but there are also filed reeds wherein instead of the 'cuticle' shape halfway up the reed -- which is naturally how the reed would appear when shaved -- the manufacturer has filed a straight-cut across.

My query is why is this done? Is it because it gives a different tone or is it just to provide a 'straight-edge' allowing you to position the reed the same each time you use it?

Martin

Well, I think it gives a different tone, particularly on RJS, which are my favourite. Seems brighter and clearer.

It may well all be in my mind :shocked: but it's filed for me every time.

I read somewhere (maybe on the Rico web page...can't really remember), that filed reeds give a slightly brighter tone, so I've been buying filed, until recently when I started using Rico plasticovers, which are brighter still.

Martin

That is correct - I used to play unfiled Rico Jazz Selects for quite a time (shifted to Alexander DC's and Francois Louis Excellence's) and like the more robust sound, but now prefer filed. The FLE's have an excellent balance of bright/robust/fine, and the DC's were darker and slightly finer in sound than the RJS's.

Always worth trying Marca Jazz reeds for the ultimate in filed IMHO.

That is correct - I used to play unfiled Rico Jazz Selects for quite a time (shifted to Alexander DC's and Francois Louis Excellence's) and like the more robust sound, but now prefer filed. The FLE's have an excellent balance of bright/robust/fine, and the DC's were darker and slightly finer in sound than the RJS's.

Always worth trying Marca Jazz reeds for the ultimate in filed IMHO.

I use a Marca Jazz 3 reeds and they are brilliant. Not what I would call bright though.

On a very brief encounter, I was very disappointed with the new Vandoren Java Red filed reeds - no where near as playable as the standard Java which work for me straight out of the box - but maybe I need to work on it a bit more.

Another question exposing my ignorance I'm afraid. But I went on a website to buy some new reeds this evening, and to my horror came across terms like 'french filed' and 'unfiled'....what the heck's all that about? What's the difference and should I care? I'm not going to order till I have some kind of a clue as to what I'm buying!
Regards, AL

In my experience the difference in reeds that have the bark cut off square on the back and those that do not is miniscule at best. There are also many other factors that have a much greater effect on the tone and response of the reed that require attention for a player with less experience. I believe that it takes several years of playing to develop the embouchure control and sensitivity to discern the difference the "style of cut" makes. I know that it did for me.

I was told french cut for french lay mouthpieces (rico royale) and american or unfiled for american mouthpieces (rico orange).

With the world shrinking and standardisation it may not be relevant for modern mouthpieces.

Don't French mouthpieces have a shorter lay with a steeper curve than the American with a shallower curve and a longer lay for the same tip opening?

I play vintage French mouthpieces and prefer a filed reed. There's not much difference in sound, it's the playability that differs for me.

The best thing to do is to order a couple of all sorts of reeds in different strengths and try them. Some will be no good for you at all but others may be a revelation.

I use a clipper to adjust or revitalise a reed and recently have been scraping them a little with a sharp blade to fine tune them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many mouthpieces now have a more generic medium facing and a medium curve so choice is not always that important. A difference between the two, sound and feel wise is that a filed reed will often feel/sound more flexible and brighter and an unfiled more woody/rigid/percussive. I most often use Marca Jazz (filed) reeds on Alto and Soprano Sax, which are vibrant, flexible and very three dimensional soundwise, but on Tenor I often use Alexander Superial NY's (unfiled) which have a thicker, more percussive sound - on Tenor I use a more classic American style mouthpiece and it feels spot on.

An interesting area, though, and a useful one to explore/understand because people often talk about certain mouthpieces being picky reed wise, and the filed/unfiled issue may be relevant here.

I use both RJS filed and unfiled on tenor.
The main difference is that filed reeds come in a pinkish box that does not look nice in my case. The unfiled box is more "nausea green". Probably my taste about colours is still in 20th century, if not in the Italian renaissance.

Sometimes I find that on different mouthpieces all the good reeds are unfiled. Some other time, I cannot find a single good unfiled reed in the box.
Same goes for the filed.

Many years ago, when I thought Rico Jazz Selects were good I only liked unfiled, so I only used the old style packaging, but there is better packaging around if you like your reeds to look cool - like Marca Jazz, Francois Louis Excellence and similar.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom