SYOS

Reeds Filed/unfiled reeds

Moz

I use Rico Jazz Select 3 Medium reeds. For no particular reason I use unfiled reeds but there are also filed reeds wherein instead of the 'cuticle' shape halfway up the reed -- which is naturally how the reed would appear when shaved -- the manufacturer has filed a straight-cut across.

My query is why is this done? Is it because it gives a different tone or is it just to provide a 'straight-edge' allowing you to position the reed the same each time you use it?

Martin

jonf

Well, I think it gives a different tone, particularly on RJS, which are my favourite. Seems brighter and clearer.

It may well all be in my mind :shocked: but it's filed for me every time.

Martin

I read somewhere (maybe on the Rico web page...can't really remember), that filed reeds give a slightly brighter tone, so I've been buying filed, until recently when I started using Rico plasticovers, which are brighter still.

Martin

TomMapfumo

That is correct - I used to play unfiled Rico Jazz Selects for quite a time (shifted to Alexander DC's and Francois Louis Excellence's) and like the more robust sound, but now prefer filed. The FLE's have an excellent balance of bright/robust/fine, and the DC's were darker and slightly finer in sound than the RJS's.

Always worth trying Marca Jazz reeds for the ultimate in filed IMHO.

half diminished

That is correct - I used to play unfiled Rico Jazz Selects for quite a time (shifted to Alexander DC's and Francois Louis Excellence's) and like the more robust sound, but now prefer filed. The FLE's have an excellent balance of bright/robust/fine, and the DC's were darker and slightly finer in sound than the RJS's.

Always worth trying Marca Jazz reeds for the ultimate in filed IMHO.
I use a Marca Jazz 3 reeds and they are brilliant. Not what I would call bright though.

dooce

On a very brief encounter, I was very disappointed with the new Vandoren Java Red filed reeds - no where near as playable as the standard Java which work for me straight out of the box - but maybe I need to work on it a bit more.

ManEast

On a very brief encounter, I was very disappointed with the new Vandoren Java Red filed reeds - no where near as playable as the standard Java which work for me straight out of the box - but maybe I need to work on it a bit more.
Na.
I would just stick with the standard Java !

Top Bottom