support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Fiberreeds

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Anyone have any experience of these?

My son's been having a lot of bottom lip problems with his clarinet, so we thought we'd try a plastic reed, to see if it helped.

Not a lot of choices available for the german system clarinet - so this was what we ended up with. Initial impressions are that it's very buzzy/scratchy, doesn't sound nice at all. However he played it for a couple of weeks, and switched back to a cane reed for the recital last night. What a difference. He's much smoother and mellower on the cane reed, than he was before he switched to the fiberreed. So I think we'll keep it this way. Fiberreed fo pactice and cane fo recitals.

Be interested to hear what others have to say, I've no intention of trying one on a sax at the moment - not with the sound on the clarinet, far too expensive if it doesn't work.

I'd originally sparked this thread as i needed to find a reed which i could use straight off, especially as i needed to be loud ( er ) in the band. Having used the Hahn now for a few months on and off i do like it a lot although it does cut my tongue sometimes. If i am playing ballads i do prefer an Aleaxander Superial 2,5 but am sure that with time i'll be able to control the Hahn better, i am also experimenting with a plasticover which sounds quite nice.
Hope this helps
Anyone have any experience of these?

My son's been having a lot of bottom lip problems with his clarinet, so we thought we'd try a plastic reed, to see if it helped.

Not a lot of choices available for the german system clarinet - so this was what we ended up with. Initial impressions are that it's very buzzy/scratchy, doesn't sound nice at all. However he played it for a couple of weeks, and switched back to a cane reed for the recital last night. What a difference. He's much smoother and mellower on the cane reed, than he was before he switched to the fiberreed. So I think we'll keep it this way. Fiberreed fo pactice and cane fo recitals.

Be interested to hear what others have to say, I've no intention of trying one on a sax at the moment - not with the sound on the clarinet, far too expensive if it doesn't work.

When I first tried them I thought they were really good, so I got a couple. But the ones I brought home seemed different to the ones I'd tried out. Not as good.

Weird you'd think synthetic reeds would be totally consistent.

From reading lots of reviews of the Hahns I would not be surprised by this. Some people seem to think they are harder than cane and others softer... I'm hoping mine lasts for years so I don't have to try another one...

FWIW I have now clocked up about two hundred hours on a Legere baritone reed. It still seems to be alright. I have now bought a replacement reed of the same strength, and I am convinced that it is slightly harder than the one I bought originally. I have no means of making an exact comparison, and I would expect the older reed to have become just a little more more supple over time. Nevertheless, the new one does feel harder.

I have tried both Hahn & Fiberreed for alto ...the Hahn was quite lot too stiff and I gave it to my teacher, and the FR(with the 'rubber pads' is just a fraction too hard)
The tenor FR I have is, annoyingly, too soft ....I ordered a slightly softer one based on alto experience :( This is the black/white carbon-fibre model.
I can use it, by clamping the lig just a little closer to the tip......IT IS VERY LOUD :)
(I also have a Legére Studio Cut alto, which I quite like, but is a fraction stiff, and a couple of Fibracell Premier which sound, to me, just a bit 'lifeless'.)

If anyone would like to try one of these expensive mistakes...sorry, reeds (any of 'em)....they can be easily cleaned and sterilised ....it can be yours for the cost of a small donation to Pete's charity. They are all Soft (about #2, the cf FR tenor is only about 1.5!).

I've used a few Fiberreeds and found that the standard ones were OK, the carbon ones just too bright. However, there was a serious problem with them. On three separate ones the fibres seemed to de-laminate, cutting my bottom lip to shreds. I wrote to the manufacturer but didn't get a response. Although they played fine, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The thought of getting splinters of fibre stuck in my lip was not attractive at all.

I've been using Hahn reeds since 2000 when I tried them in a shop in Stuttgart (Der Gute Tone).
I find them easy blowing, very long lasting and therefore cheap. For me they sound bright and loud, which I like and are super easy care.
RogerB I have bought stronger Hahn's and scraped them down to get them to play easier, not so easy to make em stronger though!
Cheers
Jimu

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom