support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Fake Rico Royal reeds?

PaulM

I know that reeds are a bit of a variable quantity, but I've a box of RR reeds and I have my suspicions about their provenance. Let me explain why. All the reeds in the box in question are:

• far harder than the same strength RR reeds I've used before,
  • the reed surface that contacts the lower lip is rough; all previous ones have felt smooth,
  • they do not play as well as all the previous boxes I've used,
  • the box they're packed in is subtly different to all the other boxes I have.

The differences in this box are:

• the bar code and item number are on the side of the box, not on the bottom like the others
  • the top doesn't have the yellow strip with Rico Royal printed on it
  • the strength chart on the rear isn't marked with the strength of the reeds in the box as the others are
  • the D'Addario symbol on the back is smaller than the symbol on the other boxes
  • there's no reference to Player's Points (whatever they are) on the back
  • the MADE IN USA printing is on the opposite side of the rear panel to all the others.

The reeds were purchased from a respectable online source who I'm sure wouldn't knowingly flog counterfeit stuff. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Have I just got a poor box of reeds, or are they poor and fake?

Cheers, Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
possibly a poor batch. We all know that when you buy a box of reeds that there is a chance that only 1 or 2 out of the 10 will be preferable and suitable whilst others are not so good and don't have the same feel to them. Although, you mentioned about the packaging - there is the possibility they could be counterfeit but there are so many on the market aimed at all budgets that I'd be unsure too :(

You can polish a reed on a sheet of glass. Both sides. If it's cut too thick a polish it down with some very fine (2000/3000) sand paper and finish again on glass.

I buy reeds a half strength down from where I want them , clip them up and then polish them.

I used to be a Rico fan but I've moved over to Vandoren classic blue.

I've recently had some success with Flying goose/White crane chinese reeds. £8 for 20. I found them to be slightly better than an orange rico. The only problem is they come in one size 2.5 , comparable to a rico rating, and so need polishing and clipping to get the right strength every time.

If it's cut too thick a polish it down with some very fine (2000/3000) sand paper and finish again on glass.

Thanks Colin, curiously enough I was in the huge local B&Q the other day to get some DIY stuff. As I was passing the sandpaper display I stopped to see if they might have any suitable for reed work. They classify 320 grit as fine. OK, these terms are relative, but I may as well use a boulder as that stuff. So, where did you get yours from?

Cheers, Paul

Emery boards for finger nails do a great job on reeds. Use down the vamp towards the tip, but stop about 12mm from the tip.

John :):);}
HI John, nice to see you back. I know you're not going to like this, but...

I heard Rob Buckland give a talk last Sunday. He mentioned his reed weakening techniique. No scraping, no sanding, just put the reed curved side down on a flat surface, hold down the tip and give the base a flick upwards, on one side if the reed is unbalanced or in the middle if you just want to weaken it overall. That's all the reed preparation he does. Quite a decent player, too.

I've had a go at this and it works a treat. I can't believe I'd never seen it before.

HI John, nice to see you back. I know you're not going to like this, but...

I heard Rob Buckland give a talk last Sunday. He mentioned his reed weakening techniique. No scraping, no sanding, just put the reed curved side down on a flat surface, hold down the tip and give the base a flick upwards, on one side if the reed is unbalanced or in the middle if you just want to weaken it overall. That's all the reed preparation he does. Quite a decent player, too.

I've had a go at this and it works a treat. I can't believe I'd never seen it before.

Hi Martin,
No probs. with this or any other methods people use. Sanding a reed to match a m'piece was what my tutor taught me many years ago. :w00t:
One thing to think about though, is the impression of what is good (it might be better, but is it as good as it could be).
By sanding reeds (tuning to the m'piece), I am able to use an easily controlled (effortless) emboucher throughout the range of the sax, be it 'Rock' or 'Blues'. I don't see the need to have a strong emboucher and be able to use a reed stiffer than a 2.5, which after tuning is probably about a 2.
My current favorite setup on my Mk6 tenor, is a Metalite M7, with a Fibracell reed (I've used it for months now, and it's still as good as new!), adjusted to about a 2.
Have a look at Tom Ridenour's funny adds on You Tube. One thing is certain though, for me it's the best way!
I'm off to Sydney, Australia, in December for a few months (Hi Rikki), and will hire a sax while I'm there, but will be taking my Metalite and Fibracell with me :thumb:

John :):);}