support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Eric Marienthal, Chuck Loeb and John Patitucci

I haven't listened to any of these guys before, I will see what I think. Funny thing is an Eric Marienthal lesson appeared on YouTube earlier. Do you know what horn he plays as it looks just like mine

I haven't listened to any of these guys before, I will see what I think. Funny thing is an Eric Marienthal lesson appeared on YouTube earlier. Do you know what horn he plays as it looks just like mine
OOO, I know that one! You will see a lot of Marienthal videos from the 80's obviously sponsored by Yamaha. He plays Yamaha saxes in these tutorial videos. This isn't his real horn though. Eric plays on a Selmer Mk6 which he bought new in 1975. No surprise on the Mk6, but certainly on the year. Great player. Interesting point in particular about how Eric growls - he doesn't sing down the horn like the rest of us - he allows a little air to escape at the side of the mouthpiece (a little like blowing a raspberry I guess). I've noticed quite a few of the 'modern' players having a growl - particularly in the altissimo - that doesn't sound as fierce as when using the singing method. I wonder if they all use this different technique. Have tried it - it's not natural!
* Just listened to clip. The horn I refer to is his alto. Not sure on his soprano.

Mine is a Mauriat, looks just he same to my eyes, its a lesson on playing with an open throat, and it is very well explained. I was told by a well known person that very few professional players actually use the horns they sponsor, maybe that goes for Mouthpieces as well.

I do the same thing as he does to produce a growl, I didn't know anyone else did it, I just thought it was a bad habit I had developed. (that's actually made my day).

Mine is a Mauriat, looks just he same to my eyes, its a lesson on playing with an open throat, and it is very well explained. I was told by a well known person that very few professional players actually use the horns they sponsor, maybe that goes for Mouthpieces as well.

I do the same thing as he does to produce a growl, I didn't know anyone else did it, I just thought it was a bad habit I had developed. (that's actually made my day).
You're one up on me then! I don't think it works so well (what am I saying - I can't do it!) for Rock 'n' Roll but it's so useful for pop/smooth jazz/funk etc. I think Brandon Fields, Kirk Whalum - that era/genre of player must use it. Unless you can get a similar sound by singing a much higher note - I can't do this either. Spent most of my years using a clean sound, and only have to dig out the growl now and then.

Is that the "blow hot air into the instrument" one? I've stolen that from him when teaching.

They all look the same to me (saxophones). Yes, with endorsements, it's often the case that people will exhibit one brand and "secretly" play another. I'm very suspicious of Cindy Crawford's choice of watch brand. (For those of you too young to know, she was a supermodel in the 1990's.)
I'll tell you something about Eric that attracted me to his playing. He seems to be able to put as much nuance into his funk stuff as you hear most bop or cool jazz. Yes Pete, articulation!
When he responds to students videos, he smokes everyone away, sometimes with full versions of tunes. I'd never heard of him before I happened upon that duet YouTube thing I posted a while back.

Whilst I have the upmost respect and admiration for his playing, I'm more of an Ornette Coleman type listener