• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Accessories Ergonomic Heavy Mass Saxophone Neck Screws

Steve Goodson wrote on his FB timeline:

"Well, I would have told you that there was no reason these additional mass neck screws would make any difference, but some blind tests by myself and a couple of my clients indicate that they VERY clearly do……most interesting!"

I wonder if the are working on a "The Martin Alto or Tenor" neck?
 
Funny how, all sorts of ( mostly commercially involved) saxophone people think that they need to introduce new implements to “ improve” the sound of a saxophone, all implements which, and this cannot be by chance, can be sold as accessories of some sort to the plethora of instrument owners, very few of whom could be classed as proper “ musicians” really needing these supposed improvements but all of whom have a wallet with money to spend,.

Curious how these commercially involved folks are all concentrating themselves on the questionable or non existing science of wall vibration or the even more questionable science of the so called “ molecular” structure of the metal with expensive cryogenic treatments or, and this is the latest, generating vibrations in the form of audio frequencies to relieve the “ stess” of the metal by vibrating the instrument at certain frequencies.

Instead, they could try to research changes in the geometry of the saxophone, something which would at least change the only thing that we KNOW has a sure effect on the sound of the saxophone.

Of course this research is expensive and cannot be sold in the form od an accessory to people already owning a saxophone.

“ Balls” could be sold to owners of ball-less saxophone necks in need of “ orchis-tical " improvements , but even then, someone would have to solder the balls on existing necks ( disfiguring a collector’s item forever) or you could try selling whole new “ Ballsy” necks, but they wouldn’t fit all saxophones out there.

Anyway, it takes balls to do all this................and brainless buyers.
 
given the resemblance between these 'balls' neck screws and certain kinds of body piercing jewellery, plus that vibrating device I posted in another thread, I'm beginning to wonder if Ann Summers will be bringing out a new range of saxophone accessories soon, to excite our body tubes.. 😱
 
Let's suspend our disbelief for a moment (I know, I know it's tricky)...and say, OK, the Heavy Mass Screw works...

What then if you had an Ergonomic Heavy Mass Neck Screw and one of the really light weight ligatures such as the Francois Louis plus a thin-walled neck? Do you think that they would cancel each other out? So, by coughing up a load of money you could end up with exactly the same sound as you started with! Excellent. I like the thinking behind these products.😀
 
@jbtsax You promised us a report on these heavy mass neck screws. Any thoughts yet?
I got a set of 6 screws, two in three different thread sizes. I have not had time to "play with" them yet. I can say they are well made, and they do have a good feel. One turns them by rolling between the thumb and forefinger. I have reached out to a few acoustic scientists to see if they would be interested in doing a professional double blind study. Anything I would try to do myself could be quickly discounted, since I am a layman at these types of things. I will be passing them around to the best players I know in my area as well as playing with them myself and I will report back those observations.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,258
Messages
575,887
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom