support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Eddie Harris Book

szodiac

HI,

I've been trying to track down an out-of-print book called Jazz Cliche Capers by Eddie Harris.

Does anybody know a) how to find it and b) is it any good?

Cheers,
Tony

Great question. I love to track down out of print books that have to do with music or instrument repair. I have a line on one that can be loaned from a library in the States. I will follow up when I get a chance to look it over. It may be something that can legally be put on the internet as a pdf. file. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the reply and the offer!
I guess nothing has been found. Can't find a PDF download on the net - so I'm out of luck on this one...

Currently in Palm Springs, California. Research indicates no decent music shops in area and certainly no one selling some interesting horns to try.
On the upside it's sunny and not too hot.

Great question. I love to track down out of print books that have to do with music or instrument repair. I have a line on one that can be loaned from a library in the States. I will follow up when I get a chance to look it over. It may be something that can legally be put on the internet as a pdf. file. I'll have to check it out.

I actually found one to buy from a community orchestra in Kansas that had someone donate the inventory of a music store that went out of business. The book is disappointing to say the least. I can see now why it went out of print. The "cliches" are all strung together with no way to know where one ends and the next begins. There are also no chord changes to give a harmonic orientation to the "licks". It may have some value as a sight reading exercise

I have posted a pdf of the first page in the Resources section of this forum under "Music". If you are genuinely interested I will sell it for $25 + postage only if you agree not to "flip" it to make a profit. (I paid considerably more to the organization as a "donation" for the book.)

Oops. Pete reminded me to check the copyright and it is still a copyrighted work. If you will send me your email in a PM, I can send you the 1st page to review to see if you want the book. If not, that's ok too.

Last edited:
Hi all,

A big public thank you to JBTSAX for getting the Eddie Harris book to me while we were still in Palm Springs.

For future ref to help anybody visiting the area. There is only one Music Shop in the 'valley'. It's called Musicians Outlet and is located in Palm Desert just off Highway 111. More of a general store catering mainly to the guitar heroes of the world and from memory had about 3 alto saxophones on display (Jupiter,+?) - nothing above student level. More research indicates that Kessler's in Las Vegas in probably the only place in the whole of the SoCal/Nevada region that will have a decent selection (okay there are Sam Ash branches in LA/San Diego with a limited stock of high end saxes but nothing in the vintage range).

However, there a few 'pawn shop' places dotted around and you may find something interesting in one of these places.

Just glad we have Sax.co and Howarths in London back home in the good old UK.
Over and out,
Tony

Hi JBTSAX,
I'm still interested in the book and I will PM my Email address so we can talk privately.
Thanks for all your hard work.
Tony