support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones eBay Question

Jamesmac

The Ebay question is concerning eBay protection for the buyer who picks up the sax and pays in cash. ie. is there any grounds for : Not as described .... after you bring the sax home, then decide to open a case. All input appreciated.Jamesmac

In that case i'm not sure.I think if there giving cash well there would be no protection like you would get using paypal say.I have sold things and they have came to my home with cash on ebay sales.All you can do is let them see the item for what it is so theres no hassle.If you have no returns in your description is a safe guard also.95% of folk are decent on ebay so you should have no trouble if there happy seeing it and end up paying.

In that case i'm not sure.I think if there giving cash well there would be no protection like you would get using paypal say.I have sold things and they have came to my home with cash on ebay sales.All you can do is let them see the item for what it is so theres no hassle.If you have no returns in your description is a safe guard also.95% of folk are decent on ebay so you should have no trouble if there happy seeing it and end up paying.

Sometimes, but not often you have the buyer who sends his brother, then says, well we took it to a tech, and he says it needs a lot of work. ?

Don't let an eBay buyer pay via PayPal and then collect. PayPal seller protection only applies if you can supply proof of postage or tracking for a posted item.

As the seller, you have few "rights" with eBay anyway. Check it is the buyer them self coming to collect with cash.

Don't let an eBay buyer pay via PayPal and then collect. PayPal seller protection only applies if you can supply proof of postage or tracking for a posted item.

As the seller, you have few "rights" with eBay anyway. Check it is the buyer them self coming to collect with cash.

i dont think ebay would be interested if the buyer collects and pays cash, but what really is my dilema is to give the guy his money back, because he asks, or not, because he doesnt know what he is buying, and he is wasting my time.

If he wants his money back deduct your fees from the price he paid unless you both come to an agreement then ebay will refund you a final value fee.

I sold an expensive Canon Lens (over £3k) on eBay and the buyer came to collect. I was nervous and he had paid via PayPal. I ended up getting him to sign the eBay transaction saying he had received the lens in good order and all was well. No idea what would have happened if he'd raised a dispute but I had transfered the money into my bank account by the time he collected.

As said, 90+% of people on eBay are ok, and I 'buy' the seller as well as the 'buyer' for large value items.

:shocked: Be very careful when inviting total strangers to your home ...

:shocked: Be very careful when inviting total strangers to your home ...

I agree, it was risky but made a judgement based on his eBay profile and speaking to him on the phone. I worried more about meeting someone on Baker St to buy a lens for a similar amount of money (cash) but turned out ok as well.

So - what work does he say needs doing? And is this a fair statement or not. How much was he quoted for the work? Does it seem a fair quote? Who did the quote? And of course, how did you describe the sax? Have you got proof of the condition it was in when he took it? Was the sax too expensive due to bidding fever?

If he's got fair grounds for his complaint, then best to take it back. If, however he's making it up, then stand your ground and ask him to go through dispute resolution on ebay. But be aware he may also just be trying to get the price down, not give the sax back. Or he may have damaged it and is trying to get out without telling you. Whether or not he collects shouldn't affect buyer protection - but it does mean you have a better argument that he's changed his mind/is time wasting, than if you'd posted it.

The vast majority of people on ebay are great to deal with, but there are a few others who seem to be around just to remind us that it's not all plain sailing...

I would ask ebay what happens.

Whatever, if the transaction goes through like this then I would get a signed receipt for the saxophone saying something along the lines of "Received saxophone as described".

If you trust the person in your house, the best thing is to get them to sign in to ebay there and then and give you good feedback. There is then a documentation and he can't go home and then whinge about it.

Even if you didn't get a receipt for the instrument I think the buyer has a bad case if tyhey don't have a receipt for the money (plus why didn't they object when picking the horn up? ) however as mentioned ebay may not actually be a lot of help.

As i guessed ebay would not get involved in this type of transaction { checked with them last night} but i think it is helpful for forum membes who would read this thread, because of all the suggestions that have been offered.As far as inviting someone to your place, i usually judge it by feedback, emails etc. The buyer in this case is living in Spain, has zero feedback, and wanted his brother to pick it up for him. So i did what i normally do in these situations.
[ have a baseball bat handy} Joking... No i meet in a public place and arrive in my campervan.{ so the buyer can check out his puchase in comfort} As far as this buyers brother, he was a nice guy, He got a nice Vintage Conn in basic playing order for a knock down price. just a bit more than what a complete overhaul would cost. The problem is that he has taken it to some negative tech that hasnt told him the whole picture. ie you cant expect a Vintage Conn that is completely overhauled for the price of an overhaul.

In that case you have a few options.

• Leave it as it is, no refund nothing and take the negative feedback on the chin.
  • Offer a total refund in return for the horn back and relist it. Not sure in this case what ebay do to make sure they can't give a negative, but check this out.
  • Speak to the tech, show them the ebay description and hope he is fair and tells the customer he got what he paid for.
  • In future never do this kind of deal, or at the very least get a signed piece of paper that the horn is received as described.

What I wouldn't do is offer a partial refund, you might still get negative feedback if they want to be nasty.

I think I got lucky - I got my beloved YAS62 cash on collection via ebay, I met the seller, who admitted knowing very little about saxophones, he let me have a blow for as long as I needed without making me feel pressured, the deal was done and he was happy to give me a receipt and gave me good feedback. He even went so far as to contact me a few months later to tell me about another interesting horn that had come his way.

While you do have to be careful for all the reasons mentioned above, I thinks there are more gooduns than bad guys out there.

I think Pete has put it in a nutshell. The same advice from eBay when I contacted them. They mentioned that with a buyer who wants to change his mind, for whatever reason, he may still leave negative feedback, that may be removed, but no guarantee .
But I agree most of the transactions are easy and problem free.

Back
Top Bottom