support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Ebay mouthpiece patches

Its down to personal choice - I prefer Face Ache Mike's version as they're less squishy and you don't get bits of neoprene on your mouth!

I guess my teeth aren't as sharp as yours!

Those BG ones are perfectly good. The main decision you have to make is whether you prefer those thicker black ones or the thinner, typically transparent, ones. The brands are pretty much the same, really - although I've never tried Face Ache Mike's ones.

Thanks, all. Probably a bit unhygienic, but I'll wait until the mouthpiece comes and try it with the patch on. It might turn out that I don't like anything foreign on my mouthpiece. Apparently it was posted out today, so if I'm really lucky I'll have it tomorrow. At £4 for p&p I certainly hope it doesn't take a week to get here from London.

Thanks, all. Probably a bit unhygienic, but I'll wait until the mouthpiece comes and try it with the patch on. It might turn out that I don't like anything foreign on my mouthpiece. Apparently it was posted out today, so if I'm really lucky I'll have it tomorrow. At £4 for p&p I certainly hope it doesn't take a week to get here from London.

Patches have 2 good reasons to use them
1 They help stabilise your teeth on the mouthpiece and reduce vibration.
2 If it is an expensive mouthpiece and you don't get on with it you will sell it for more if it has no bite marks on the beak.

One other point some metal mouthpieces are produced without a bite plate and these would be difficult to play without a patch.

Brian

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Patches are great, but around the edge they tend to build up bacteria. I'd take off the old one and give the mouthpiece a good clean - you'll never be able to properly clean around the edge of a patch. If you want to see what it's like playing with a patch put a couple of layers of electrician's tape over the bite - that will be pretty much like a thin patch.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Patches are great, but around the edge they tend to build up bacteria. I'd take off the old one and give the mouthpiece a good clean - you'll never be able to properly clean around the edge of a patch. If you want to see what it's like playing with a patch put a couple of layers of electrician's tape over the bite - that will be pretty much like a thin patch.

Good advice.

Also, DJade, you haven't said what mouthpiece it is you're getting, but if it's ebonite / hard rubber don't let hot water get anywhere near it when you clean it - it will go green and lose it's glossy finish (if it has one.) Tepid water is OK - but best use cold water and antiseptic.

I'm sure a few of us here have discovered to our irritation what happens to hard rubber when washed with hot water...

I don't have a problem with vibrations so don't need a patch for that, although the resale thing may be a good idea. I'm just not sure about the texture of something else on a mouthpiece, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I was thinking of zapping it in the microwave to kill off the nasties, but I've read that although a minute or three can get rid of most nasties, you might need six minutes or longer to get rid of the more hardcore bacteria. I've now decided to give it the bleach and scrub treatment as it's looking a little crusty. There's also an imperfection in the barrel, but I'll start another thread on that after I've taken pictures of it.

Yes, I know about the warm/hot water discolouration thing. Thanks. I've picked up a Vandoren V16 A6M.

Apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any non-allergenic mouthpiece patches? I used one on my clarinet when I first got it, and ended up looking like I had a red Hitler moustache on my upper lip, which isn't really my style so I stopped using them.

Since then I have been merrily chomping my through a Yamaha 6C which I bought second hand, but as I am about to get a new Clarinet and soon a saxophone, I would really like to stop consuming them, it seems expensive, and probably fattening.

Back
Top Bottom