support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Drop box

Flipper2008

Hi Folks, not sure if any of you have come across this before, its called Drop Box and its ace. Basically you gey 2Gig of free online storage. It consists of a folder you can put on your desktop to which you invite other people to access. then simply drop files into it and they are then shared with the other users. You can set up multiple folders for different individuals and you can also set up a public folder, which allows you to hyperlink to any of the files in it, ie music files , vidoes etc. you can read about it at www.getdropbox.com. Though this would be of use to the members here to swap files etc.

Flipp

Two questions:

1. Is it legal.

2. Is it safe.

Thaumaturge

If you took the time to have a look at the website Thaumaturge you can answer that yourself. I would not have posted about it if I didnt think it was both, I cerainly would not recommend anything illegal and am insulted that you need to question it ! I have used it to post links of things I have done, not illegal file sharing !

Not happy :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's pretty obvious the site itself is legal. Issues of legality and file sharing come up when people 'share' files, images, tunes, films and other copyrighted material which is not theirs. That's firmly the responsibility of the individual. I don't think anyone here would condone illigal file sharing, and I'm certain Flipper was not suggesting it. It's just another useful resource we can use to allow each other to see our ideas. Good spot, Flipper. :welldone

On security, although it is claimed to be safe, I doubt it reaches the highest standards of IT security. But is that a big deal? Probably not, given that it is a site for sharing stuff, not keeping it secret.

One minor downside is that it won't work in a lot of office networks with tied down privilages, such as the one where I work, so no using it at lunchtime. Cafe Sax is OK as that's just a board, but file sharing sites are routinely blocked.

Dropbox is perfectly legal. It is one of a number of online storage companies for files etc with offering sharing. Rather than being a way to rip people off, this is a good way of sharing very large files that can't be emailed. I often use something similar to share my Keynote/powerpoint lectures between colleagues. I actually use SugarSync which is similar to Dropbox. I don't know if it is any better but it works across my Macs and PCs and iPhone! and 5 dollars a month gets 30gB

now that's a very useful resource, thanks for the lead. seems very low hassle to use- absolutely ideal for long distance musical collaborations and the like..... If everyone concerned is using the same software, that is.

Hi Flipper,

That's a really handy site, I wish I'd know about a while back it would have helped out greatly with some work I was doing! 2GB free storage is brilliant and being able to share discreetly is great too. Thanks for putting up the link. :cheers:

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi Flipper,

That's a really handy site, I wish I'd know about a while back it would have helped out greatly with some work I was doing! 2GB free storage is brilliant and being able to share discreetly is great too. Thanks for putting up the link. :cheers:

Best wishes,

Chris

Really glad its been of use to you and others too, its a great utility

Peace

Flipp :)