support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Does anyone Understand Brexit Rules

And you are right. Sooner or later there will be pushback and what they are doing may be found to not be legal. Until then its the rule if you want your package delivered.

I can't understand how HMRC can make a citizen of a foreign sovereign state pay UK tax. How on earth can that be enforced? Perhaps it's one of the bugs that will shake out in due course. I do hope so. What a mess.
As I mentioned, it's odd. Norway (where I live) is in a similar situation. The big merchants (eg G4M) Can charge duties, vat etc. And then, as I understand it, attach the payments to the goods for when they clear customs (possiblity with help from DHL?). The little guys, we pay at the post office counter above some threshold.

Last edited:
"Hey you... yes you... now we're out of your EU we, HMRC, insist that you collect VAT for the UK forthwith or we'll... we'll... stamp our feet in a highly British manner!"
"Oh, and you'll need to pay us to sign up to collect our VAT too. Now jump to it, eh, what."

ROFL!

The other issue is this massive and broad sweeping legislation looks really hard to enforce. In France Ive noticed the tendency to make a law for everything while at the same time enforcing extremely few of them. This looks like a tough one and people are very clever at working around barriers.

It is not as tought they said, lets do this in Europe. They said lets do this everywhere. Man, thats a lot to track.

In my increasingly cynical old bastard view of the world, there are people who are possessed by various motives to seek to accomplish something and others hellbent on obsessively controlling this mentality irrespective of intent. I think this transcends politics and obviously isn't entirely bad as checks and balances are needed, albeit hardly for small value items such as saxophone mouthpieces. I am sure that you have thought of this Phil (and I do feel for you!), but would it be possible to form an alliance with a retailer in the UK to import your mouthpieces and handle the VAT matters for you? I would also not be surprised if there was a perfectly legal loophole involving NI.

Last edited:
Actually it appears I dont need to be concerned with this. My pieces sell in excess of 135 so the old rules apply. Vat will be collected in the UK from the buyer, not at point of sale

Presumably this should also mean that products imported from the EU should be free of vat at the point of sale, therefore cheaper, as we would then have to pay vat on import.

Jimmymack. You still pay the VAT. The difference is WHO you pay it to. I can guarntee you that every business that goes through all those hoops to sell to the UK...gather their VAT...send it to them and pay yearly dues will be passing the expense on to the customer in the form of "Shipping and Handling".

I think this is the way it will be. Instead of the EU company charging VAT, it is charged at point of import, + handling charge + import duty if applicable.

You would have thought. Maybe it's to discourage all those purveyors of bibs, bobs, nik naks and doo dahs etc from the far east on ebay etc. You can get some big doo dahs for £135. ;)

I think this is the way it will be. Instead of the EU company charging VAT, it is charged at point of import, + handling charge + import duty if applicable.
I expect to pay vat, I would rather not but there you go, but with the new situation I assume that goods bought from the EU, over £135 or whatever, should be sold at the base price, without tax which will be paid on import. This means that for people such as Phil you need to offer a tax free price for those of us outside the EU. I assume that if you are selling to the US you sell at a lower, vat free, price which would be the new norm for the UK. If not we are paying tax on the tax which isn't going to work for anybody.

Way To Go Good Job GIF by Dirty Bandits
I just bought a small item on ebay from China. £5.38. The price was reduced to the vendor and the vat will be paid by ebay. Quite simple and painless. :confused2:

I expect to pay vat, I would rather not but there you go, but with the new situation I assume that goods bought from the EU, over £135 or whatever, should be sold at the base price, without tax which will be paid on import. This means that for people such as Phil you need to offer a tax free price for those of us outside the EU. I assume that if you are selling to the US you sell at a lower, vat free, price which would be the new norm for the UK. If not we are paying tax on the tax which isn't going to work for anybody.
To pay tax on a tax ? Welcome to France !
(too bad that's a thread on the UK, right ?)

Tax on tax is common. We pay vat on fuel duty. Working behind a bar if someone buys you a drink, it's a tip and classed as earnings. So you pay income tax on alcohol duty. Funny old world. Nothing more certain than death and taxes. Innit?

Sure, it seems easier for the consumer and certainly easier for GB but the wold of small business will be crushed. If you want more Amazons and less choice,,,and eventually higher prices via less competitive markets be happy,

I wonder if it's all to do with logistics. I remember hearing a BrexitCast episode a few years ago - in fact it was about such an important issue that it was repeated - about goods posted to the UK.

Now it was a while ago, so my memory is hazy, but the gist seemed to be that there's a vast number of small items sent from Europe to the UK, and the department that dealt with it was basically six people and a dog ... because essentially, when we were in the EU there was little that needed doing. I don't remember what they were, but there were I think three options for dealing with it, none of which would actually work or were in the least bit practical.

It looks like this putting the tax-collecting onus on the seller might be a fourth, even less practical, way of addressing the issue. And of course it has to apply worldwide, not just to the EU so as not to discriminate.

Sometimes you have to almost admire their ability to come up with 'solutions' ...

Last edited:
I think it will time for the dust to settle to find out exactly what is happening. It certainly doesn't seems as simple as reverting to what we expect when UK is no longer in EU.

I bought some SYOS ligatures before the end of new year as I presumed after New Year the VAT would not be charged by SYOS, but instead by HMRC but with the added admin fee,

However @Pauline_Syos tells me they have had to register for UK VAT.

So maybe it is down to each country in the EU to define their own system, or maybe it is down to the fine print in whatever deal was agreed. :headscratch:

Hi! The rules seem to be:
  • For a package below 135£, we have to make people pay the UK VAT
  • For a package above 135£, we can remove the VAT as we do for all other countries outside UE.
But that's too complicated to have different rules so we can also decide to make people pay the UK VAT all the time... Also there is a deal with UE for musical instruments so for instruments crafted in UE there shouldn't be any import fee.
That's what I know for now, let's see how it goes within the next weeks.

But that's too complicated to have different rules so we can also decide to make people pay the UK VAT all the time..
This is better IMO than it being applied on import by HMRC (or rather by the carrier on behalf of HMRC with the inevitable handling fee and hold up while you either do the online payment)

That's what I know for now, let's see how it goes within the next weeks.

Yes It think things may change as I said, the dust seems to be far from settled.

Back
Top Bottom