All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Does anyone Understand Brexit Rules

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Im in France. I just read something to the effect that as a business in the EU I have to register, collect and pay UK VAT (of course I have no UK VAT number and I dont want one). Is this true...Ive read about limits and lots of other legal mish mash that I dont understand.

With small businesses and private sales will it be just handled by the post office? It looks like it wont be but I cant make heads or tails of it.

I dont know if there is a way to keep doing business with the UK that wont drive me crazy. Ive noticed a number of small vendors have stopped serving the UK due to these rules. I just dont know if and how it would impact me.

Im happy to hear if someone actually understands this mess.

thanks in advance.

Phil

Commercial Supporter
I just saw that. That is crazy. There has to be some way around that mess. They really think I am going to pay them so that I can do more paperwork in order to send them more money? I dont think so. Aparently many small businesses see it the same way.

At least a reface is less than the threshold.

How does this apply to some guy sending a piece sold on ebay or something else that exceeds the threashold? A non vat registered individual?

mizmar

IMHO the UK is stuffed (on this issue). For whatever reason, there are many postm office counters in Norway, often co-located in supermarkets, so it's very usual and not to hard to get a pickup notice for Tax (and large packages) - In the UK PO counters have been "rationalised"...

I've no idea how they'll square that circle.

Jimmymack

I don't understand any of this but there was someone on the radio, an eel exporter no less, who has found that the people he wants to sell to, in Europe, have to fill in all sorts of forms to buy from him. He thinks he may soon be out of business. Bless him, he voted to leave, looks like he probably soon will have.

Jimmymack

This point made my attention when William Shatner, of all people, decided he would have to stop selling Merchandise to his UK fans. I don't have any info to help, but it seems to be the case.

Illogical. I was going to buy a mouthpiece from the US which was at a very good price until I calculated the taxes and import duties, then I abandoned the idea. That's using the old, well established system, if they want to foist this vat lark on everybody, or even anybody, then it's probably game over. Better learn to make mouthpieces.

Clivey

It would appear that this among other things is one of a series of roll out measures designed to stimulate inovation, cut imports, repair balance of payments and UK manufacturing. It's very painful to consumers to add Vat And Import duty. I used to have that a lot importing from USA. but My customers were paying it. Not me ,though I still felt used by Queenie And Co LTD. As a unpaid collector while registered for VAT, brown envelope brought Brown Boxer shorts
This is Brexit, and this thread is politics. "The will of the people blah". Scotland leaves UK soon as a result of this.
Incidentally quite a few chinese wholesalers are openly offering to mark down value of goods or designate them gifts over on Aliexpress etc so if you want that cheap copy or whatever this may be the last chance before Queenie and Co LTD get busy with the stanley knives on your parcels

Last edited:

Clivey

No it's not.
Of Course it is And it's still very very raw.
This forum has enjoyed years of pretty well trouble free existence. Now as a result of a political change our Hobby/ livelyhood is being affected in a negative manner The problem is that if we call out the cause we break the forum rules. It's bad stuff but people voted the change

Last edited:

Phil

Commercial Supporter
Items under €150 (£130) require the seller to collect the VAT on behalf of HMRC, which requires the seller to register with HMRC for UK tax. This now apparently applies worldwide, not just to EU countries.

So what about mouthpieces that cost more than that amount....who pays and how? Any idea? Does it revert to the old method of collection on delivery?

mizmar

Of Course it is And it's still very very raw.
This forum has enjoyed years of pretty well trouble free existence. Now as a result of a political change our Hobby/ livelyhood is being affected in a negative manner The problem is that if we call out the cause we break the forum rules. It's bad stuff but people voted the change
Obviously.

But there is change that affects people's lives materially (like the OP) and discussing them to understand how to navigate the changes should be legit and politically neutral.

Phil

Commercial Supporter
I just want to understand. Its a done deal and Im not British so I dont get a vote.

As I understand it the HMRC wants me to pay 200 a year for the priveledge of working for them at no salary dealing with customs on the packages they dont want to hire someone to process. Does that sound about right?

Since my mouthpieces are than that amount I dont exactly know what happens or if I need a VAT number.

Regardless of political leanings I feel sorry for players in GB. Gear just got REAL expensive.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom