Beginner Sax Do I NEED a vintage American tenor

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
TBH there is great advice for you in this thread, but I've said it before you are chasing your tail moving from gear to gear going round in circles, look no further than post 21 by Stephen Howard for your answers.

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
It's probably accurate to state that the 2 most popular " vintage horns " in the guitar world would be the Strat and the Les Paul and their various copies and clones.

I don't think I have ever read or heard that there is a problem selecting them as Axe of choice. Barring whammies and Pups/ electrics.

Sometimes it is necessary to gain the psychological advantage that you are using the same type of gear used on the original music genre you wish to emulate or follow.

It's also important that a buyer is aware that they are also buying into legacy idiosyncratic factors which may or may not be a royal PITA.

If that does not disuade, then I say go for it. I would/ could never be without my 1935 10M that I have owned and played and recorded since the early 80's

Jimmymack

Locality
London
I always wanted an SG Special but never got one. American horns sound different to most others but they all subtone the same.

eb424

Locality
london
TBH there is great advice for you in this thread, but I've said it before you are chasing your tail moving from gear to gear going round in circles, look no further than post 21 by Stephen Howard for your answers.
Hi @jazzdoh The comments were taken on board i really dont move from gear to gear..I had the raw for 2 years but couldnt get on with it now the z...I will mainly play the modern tunes but it would be nice to have a vintage to play the old ballads on..I did put the NEED in exclamation marks i know its more of a want...I dont play the alto so will probably move it on and grab the 10m..

LostCircuits

Locality
Black Forest
How did most of the greats of the past manage to play beautiful ballads without an American vintage horn?
They cheated and used French or German vintage horns. I haven't seen any Chinese brand yet called "Vintage". That name would be better than Better :) But maybe they'd run into issues with Cannonball and their Vintage Reborn series.
If they could do it, surely eb424 can do it.
Precisely! Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!!!!

eb424

Locality
london
I always wanted an SG Special but never got one. American horns sound different to most others but they all subtone the same.
Hi @Jimmymack its not so much about the subtoning I have just started trying that technique...TBF I dont think the dynamics in a caravan help or that i am limited to legeres...the sax always seemed to sound different in the church hall..i think the freedom to change reeds will help but withvthe weather they don't hold up well in here...

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Hi @jazzdoh The comments were taken on board i really dont move from gear to gear..I had the raw for 2 years but couldnt get on with it now the z...I will mainly play the modern tunes but it would be nice to have a vintage to play the old ballads on..I did put the NEED in exclamation marks i know its more of a want...I dont play the alto so will probably move it on and grab the 10m..
But you don't need a vintage horn to play ballads on.
In all honesty Eddie look back on all your posts here, quite a few horns over your 5 or so years of playing and even more mpc's, this is fine if that floats your boat and your happy building your collection but Stephen's post gives you the answers.

eb424

Locality
london
How did most of the greats of the past manage to play beautiful ballads without an American vintage horn? And how to the greats of today play beautiful ballads on modern horns? If they could do it, surely eb424 can do it.
Hey they were greats...lol..ok im not saying it has to be vintage or American ...Im a bit peeved I moved on a ref 54 because it was to dark and didn't sound right on modern songs ( I know)...the same with the raw...both saxes played ballads great and sounded so different to the z...which i do really like.

eb424

Locality
london
But you don't need a vintage horn to play ballads on.
In all honesty Eddie look back on all your posts here, quite a few horns over your 5 or so years of playing and even more mpc's, this is fine if that floats your boat and your happy building your collection but Stephen's post gives you the answers.
Lol.. i realise whilst writting a reply re the raw and ref 54...yts 62 pl, beuscher big b, true tone, hanson series viii ( not 111 pmsl) and 10m...I do stick to one for learning raw and z have seen me 3 years, and one for fun...definatelly set on mouthpieces now: that has been a mare but a great learning curve.

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
One horn, one mouthpiece. Commit. Learn the ins and outs of the horn until it does your bidding. One doesn’t change horns to play a ballad. That’s just wrong thinking.

Jimmymack

Locality
London
The suggestion that you need a vintage horn to play ballads always makes me smile.

Phil

Locality
France
The jz I made you has extra baffle but it still should not present a problem with subtones. Perhaps its not the sound you are chasing but subbing should not be an issue.

eb424

Locality
london
The suggestion that you need a vintage horn to play

The jz I made you has extra baffle but it still should not present a problem with subtones. Perhaps its not the sound you are chasing but subbing should not be an issue.
Hi @Phil ...No its bang on perfect the only piece i use...lovely highs and lows beaks great...no prob with subtoning.. great for the songs i play i dont even play the impulse..maybe i need to find some resistance from somewhere..its hard the vans not overly warm now and any reeds aside from the legere were warping in the summer when it was too hot..

Jimmymack

Locality
London
I think most of us can understand that. You should try a Super 20, a Cleveland one.

eb424

Locality
london
I think most of us can understand that. You should try a Super 20, a Cleveland one.
Probably still out of reach for me..just a 1946 ntth 10m....anyone want to set up a saxophone library...rent for a week..lol

Jimmymack

Locality
London
We could have a permanent mouthpiece pass round, some weeks you'd sound great, some you'd sound terrible and some weeks neither here nor there.

jthole

One horn, one mouthpiece. Commit. Learn the ins and outs of the horn until it does your bidding. One doesn’t change horns to play a ballad. That’s just wrong thinking.

I have played the same Martin tenor for the past 15 years. I couldn’t think of a better tenor for me.

I am just a simple amateur, playing in some amateur bigbands and combos, but part of why that Martin works so well for me must be that I have played it for so many years.

eb424

Locality
london
I have played the same Martin tenor for the past 15 years. I couldn’t think of a better tenor for me.

I am just a simple amateur, playing in some amateur bigbands and combos, but part of why that Martin works so well for me must be that I have played it for so many years.
Arghh...but how do you know if you haven't tried anything else...;-)