support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Dave Walker Saxes

Talk about money for old rope. It's like a bot has written that product description after being taught marketing blurb for every sax ever made.

For that money I'd want Paul Desmond reincarnated to be playing it!!

You can get a hand built sax from Adolphe sax and Cie AND a Hanson and still have change to have a holiday, for the same wedge

View attachment 12632
Looks like Jerry Bergonzi to me folks !
well maybe they should put that picture on their website since they bothered to put it on Facebook - speaking of which, here's a pic of the "one piece body" from the All Brass and Woodwind facebook page at All Brass & Woodwind Repair Collection & Training.

Looks like some form of medieval torture equipment...stick your finger, nose or other appendages in here...:rofl:

If it's a sax neck they have forgotten the cork for the mouthpiece...:w00t:

Greg S.
it's a picture taken during the final assembly of the horn that was taken down to London for Jerry whatshisname's photo opportunity

it's a picture taken during the final assembly of the horn that was taken down to London for Jerry whatshisname's photo opportunity

Ah, yes, Mrs. Bergonzi's son...appears to be quite expensive for a kitset saxophone...Ikea have a lot to answer for...:rofl:

Greg S.

Its good to see another British made sax, at £7000 its out of my range but I don't think its over priced compared to other high end tenors, Inderbinen's are dearer at CHF11,200 and its in the same range as the high end R&C,s, even top end Yani's and Selmer Ref tenors are not too far from this price.

do we have any proof that these instruments British made? Or just assembled from imported parts?
The website carries the logo of Geneva Group, a company that owns Amati, so is it more likely that they're made in the Czech Republic by Amati..
Even hand made saxophones like Inderbinden and Peter Jessen are said to use keywork bought in from other manufacturers

do we have any proof that these instruments British made? Or just assembled from imported parts?
The website carries the logo of Geneva Group, a company that owns Amati, so is it more likely that they're made in the Czech Republic by Amati..
Even hand made saxophones like Inderbinden and Peter Jessen are said to use keywork bought in from other manufacturers

You mean since the Grafton?

Good points, bad choice of words from me, i meant assembled as in Hanson and the one above.
I would be surprised if we got a true built in Britain sax ever again.

I can see this sax coming in useful as a bargaining tool...

Me: "I was thinking of upgrading my tenor, this one looks great.."
Girlfriend: "WHAT? HOW MUCH?"
Me: "Ok...yeah you're right. maybe I should save some cash, we could take a trip to yorkshire and get this Hanson LX, it looks ok and it's a lot cheaper.."
Girlfriend: Folds arms, nods smugly, not realising she's just been played.

Good points, bad choice of words from me, i meant assembled as in Hanson and the one above.
I would be surprised if we got a true built in Britain sax ever again.

It's difficult to define what that means. legally you can import the bodies from Taiwan, keyword from China, pads from Italy, screws from France assemble in England and put Made in England.

I believe it is totally different in the US, where the country of origin was may be stricter (though the labelling is rarely enforced.

The big issue is that it seems many saxophone players are obsessed with where the instruments (and components) are made, and will often make judgments on the quality based on that rather than playing them or inspecting the build. I know of ta least two top end manufacturers hiding the fact that a huge proportion of their instruments and components are from China, even though they know the quality from some manufacturers is second to none. It's hard to get over that stigma.

How many people, when buying an Audi for instance, actually know or care whether it was made in Germany or Mexico?

I can see this sax coming in useful as a bargaining tool...

Me: "I was thinking of upgrading my tenor, this one looks great.."
Girlfriend: "WHAT? HOW MUCH?"
Me: "Ok...yeah you're right. maybe I should save some cash, we could take a trip to yorkshire and get this Hanson LX, it looks ok and it's a lot cheaper.."
Girlfriend: Folds arms, nods smugly, not realising she's just been played.

A foolproof plan. 0% over two Years too, or no doubt a nice discount for cash. And £5K saving over the only alternative! If only they responded to their emails!!

The important thing is who is doing the hand assembling, not merely that somebody on less than minimum wage does it because they are cheaper than a robot.
I asked a former worker at Martin factory who did what: It was the almost same guys that made "Indianas" and "The Martin". The day we can built a saxophone without being touched by a human being, we get better saxes. A robot is the best sax builder. But to get the cost down you must built many, many .... saxes.

It's difficult to define what that means. legally you can import the bodies from Taiwan, keyword from China, pads from Italy, screws from France assemble in England and put Made in England.

I believe it is totally different in the US, where the country of origin was may be stricter (though the labelling is rarely enforced.

The big issue is that it seems many saxophone players are obsessed with where the instruments (and components) are made, and will often make judgments on the quality based on that rather than playing them or inspecting the build. I know of ta least two top end manufacturers hiding the fact that a huge proportion of their instruments and components are from China, even though they know the quality from some manufacturers is second to none. It's hard to get over that stigma.

How many people, when buying an Audi for instance, actually know or care whether it was made in Germany or Mexico?
I think you are right Pete, most people aren't too concerned about the place a "for instance" car is made, i for one are not concerned where my saxes are made, although its good to know that some British jobs in assembly are been produced.
I need to know the sax does what I want it to do and if that's Taiwan,China or France that fine by me.

View attachment 12632
Looks like Jerry Bergonzi to me folks !
The story is that when Michael Brecker was asked by an interviewer how it felt, at the peak of his powers and with the world at his feet, to be the king of the tenor saxophone, Brecker replied:

"I don’t know, you’d better ask Jerry Bergonzi."
The fact that your only 2 replies to the comments here have been these ^^^^...sorta intimates to me that I may not have been far off in my positing earlier on:
The second thing is, with due respect...oftentimes on Forums a boutique maker will send out one of their minions to 'talk up' their new product and try to create a buzz....using a Forum more or less as a free marketing venue so they don't have to actually expend money on a real marketing scheme.
The fact that this endeavor has gotten Bergonzini or anyone else to endorse does not, it and of itself, mean that the rest of the playing population should automatically swoon over a new product. Endoresers, as we know....'get stuff' for their endorsements, of course.
And as noted by others, 7g pricetags sorta trump whoever may be endorsing a particular sax.

So, hopefully, should you choose to reply again it won't be a redux of "BUT LOOK ! IT'S JERRY BERGONZINI !" Because, clearly, that isn't carrying the weight you might've hoped it would....

NOW, with THAT said:

1) that neck looks ridiculous ....and again I am most certain @GCinCT is 100% correct...behind the design of that contraption surely is a claim of a super-duper improved performance of something,
somehow, somewhere.

2) Of course it's not a 1-piece body, it's a 2-piece. THIS...ta-daaah...is actually sorta interesting to me, from a design and fabrication standpoint (not being snarky, I think it really is). I would like to know the R&D behind it, and what the specification was addressing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom