Tutorials

Saxophones Dave Walker Saxes

Saxodent

Has anyone seen these new bespoke Custom built Saxes from Dave Walker in Leeds.
Yorkshire built and designed by Dave which he has spent years researching also based on his considerable experience of repairing instruments.
His endorsers are Shabaka Hutchins (Sons of Kemet),Pete Wareham ,Ed Jones and....Jerry Bergonzi.
They are beautifully engineered with highly ergonomic keywork and quite the most exquisite keyguards I have ever seen.
Quality like this obviously doesn’t come cheap but £7000 actually doesn’t seem much compared to what some people will pay for a 60 year old Mark VI

InWalkedBud

Why, that's even more expensive than an Inderbinen or R&C. At that price, you'd think they wouldn't have to rent a website from 2003.

Nice looking horns, though. They look very coppery, like a Buffet Prestige. I wonder if they're equally soft. It's really encouraging to see hand-crafted saxes, even if I'll never be able to afford one.

OP
S

Saxodent

Sorry I was obviously mistaken I thought this was a forum set up by Pete for and about Saxophones.
But your knowledge of Cartoon and Comedy Box Sets is impressive.

Greg Strange

Sorry I was obviously mistaken I thought this was a forum set up by Pete for and about Saxophones.
Not really...I think I have only watched one episode of Seinfeld - to be perfectly honest I don't find American comedy all that funny...:w00t:
although I did read an interview with Jerry Seinfeld when he toured New Zealand two or three years ago, and of course Tom & Jerry was originally the performing name of Simon and Garfunkel and last but not least there is an excellent interview with Jerry Bergonzi in the July / August 1992 issue of Saxophone Journal magazine...also includes an excellent interview with Paul Cohen - he's another saxophonist...

Greg S.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Not really...I think I have only watched one episode of Seinfeld - to be perfectly honest I don't find American comedy all that funny...:w00t:
although I did read an interview with Jerry Seinfeld when he toured New Zealand two or three years ago, and of course Tom & Jerry was originally the performing name of Simon and Garfunkel and last but not least there is an excellent interview with Jerry Bergonzi in the July / August 1992 issue of Saxophone Journal magazine...also includes an excellent interview with Paul Cohen - he's another saxophonist...

Greg S.
Was it this episode?

The Rye - Wikipedia

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I am not certain if you were just expecting everyone to go...."oh wow, man !" over new saxes which cost 7g. The second thing is, with due respect...oftentimes on Forums a boutique maker will send out one of their minions to 'talk up' their new product and try to create a buzz....using a Forum more or less as a free marketing venue so they don't have to actually expend money on a real marketing scheme.

Don't take it personally, but regular Forum users often come across this. Add to it the fact that, as noted, the horn is priced more than an Inderbenden...people's reactions will not be all that enthusiastic. Sorta like introducing a new $85,000 automobile model.

NOW, as for the sax....looks interesting. If the website noted above is the primary online source for info on thsi horn, both its development and details...I might suggest the endeavor get somebody to 'thicken up' the information as well as the pics.
Hand made: where ?
Parts produced: where ?
Holes soldered or drawn ?
What aspects of the horn's specifications were identified or focused upon to produce the 'authentic vintage sound'.
Etc., etc...

The current site provides a little information about certain aspects (the weight, the nickel rods) ....and also some interesting claims (the neck or 'crook' as written provides BOTH a centered, focused tone AND a big old American tone - the latter usually considered a wide and spread tone which is usually sort of the opposite of a centered/focused tone).
Another puzzling descriptor : 'hand-hammered body with one piece construction' followed by 'a soldered stack to bell joint (which) creates more resonance'.....? is the body a single piece or is it made up of 2 or 3 soldered body pieces ?
The 'in-lacquered' version...of course...sounds different than the lacquered version :oops:, and this horn has 'more resonance' (has anyone there dropped in on various Forum conversations/debates on this topic over the last decade ? Not to mention acoustical studies ? I mention only because BOTH of these claims are highly, highly debatable and DO in fact sound more like typical new millenium marketing pitches which we have heard before)

(edit: Altissimo also provided (below) additional aspects/elements of the current website which give one pause....)

Personally, I am one who always applauds any endeavor which is focused upon developing something of true innovation in the musical instrument world. I really respect those creators who have been able to do some serious R&D and manage to get their products out into the field to be playtested by 'commoners' to see how they do in the world.
So I agree with Bud....it IS encouraging to see truly R&D'd, hand-crafted horns.
It's hard to tell whether this product meets THAT descriptor, or whether it is...as suggested by others...just the latest Bling. Albeit hand-assembled.

So....IMHO, this endeavor should up their marketing/informational game just a bit....and make it a point to get these into the hands of the 'regular' playing public at least for a playtest. This would take more effort than simply posting "hey, have you seen....?" threads here and there;
Maybe the makers are already in the process of doing so.

Last edited:

altissimo

Are these the ones - DW Horns Woodwind Blow Monkey Instruments Ltd

I don't think that marketing an expensive saxophone under the name 'Blow Monkey' is very inspiring, unless you're a fan of the 80's pop band The Blow Monkeys and the website could do with a bit of proof reading, but that could be true of some of the things I've read in Yanagisawa brochures.
This kind of stuff won't win them many fans -
"All of our instruments are made from the highest European brass" - ah, so the unrban dictionary definition of a 'blow monkey' may also apply?
"The in-lacquered models, as you would expect, develop a bigger warmer sound over the first 3 months of playing" ?????
"a soldered stack to bell joint creates more resonance" ???
"Hand finished ergonomically designed key work with double raced lower keys" - braced
"In addition, because the contact between the thumb hook and the main body is minimal, thus improving the resonance and response of the whole saxophone" - this is something that Yanagisawa also claim, although there's no real evidence that something attached to the outside of the body can affect the behaviour of the air column inside the instrument...

I wish they had better photos of the instruments and some sound clips of these well known players demonstrating their virtues.rather than resorting to the kind of marketing speak that puts off people who don't like the smell of snake oil

I can't see any mention of Jerry Bergonzi, just Pete Wareham, Shabaka Hutchins and Edgar Jones

I can't see anything about where these saxophones are actually made - the brass instruments seem to be made by Geneva Group at "factories in Hradec Kralove and Kraslice in the Czech Republic" Geneva » This is Geneva

Since the saxes are engraved by an in-house engraver who takes inspiration from Alphonse Mucha we can assume that they're at least engraved in the Czech Republic.
It'd be difficult to compare the Dave Walker sax with a current model Amati since neither of the two UK dealers for Amait have any of their saxes in stock.

Neither the Blow monkey or All Brass And Woodwind websites have any prices listed - All Brass and Woodwind

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
and this horn has 'more resonance' (has anyone there dropped in on various Forum conversations/debates on this topic over the last decade ?
When I produce a saxophone maybe I should market it "finally a saxophone with less resonance, because resonance is what you want in a crash cymbal, not a saxophone."
Albeit hand-assembled.
I wonder why people value the term hand assembled saxophones. It's possible to hand assemble a very poor saxophone, especially in China where all the cheapest instruments are hand assembled. The important thing is who is doing the hand assembling, not merely that somebody on less than minimum wage does it because they are cheaper than a robot.

EDIT: Of course I know why they say hand assembled, along with resonance it's expected marketing hype of course.

OP
S

Saxodent

The story is that when Michael Brecker was asked by an interviewer how it felt, at the peak of his powers and with the world at his feet, to be the king of the tenor saxophone, Brecker replied:

"I don’t know, you’d better ask Jerry Bergonzi."

Greg Strange

The story is that when Michael Brecker was asked by an interviewer how it felt, at the peak of his powers and with the world at his feet, to be the king of the tenor saxophone, Brecker replied:

"I don’t know, you’d better ask Jerry Bergonzi."
Apparently Hendrix said a similar thing about Rory Gallagher in relation to the guitar - and of course Rory occasionally played his Selmer MK VI alto...

Greg S.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom