support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds D'addario Select Jazz

ptg

Sorry if this has been asked before...I could not find it with a search...

Thinking of trying these reeds for my alto. I am currently using La Voz medium hard. (The mediums actually sound better but I am trying to build up my embouchure.)

I am using a Meyer 6 medium chamber mpc.

These come in either a Soft 2,3,4 or a medium 2, 3 or 4 or a hard 2,3,4. Does anyone know what these equate to when compared to the La Voz?

Thank you!

Thinking of trying these reeds for my alto. I am currently using La Voz medium hard. (The mediums actually sound better but I am trying to build up my embouchure.)

These come in either a Soft 2,3,4 or a medium 2, 3 or 4 or a hard 2,3,4. Does anyone know what these equate to when compared to the La Voz?

Thank you!
I would go for a 3,. I haven't used la voz for a while but I always used medium hard and i use a 3 on the select jazz

3S would be a good start. For comparison I'm using 2H on an 8 on tenor and 2S on a 7 on alto. You might want to start slightly softer with a 2H.

Interesting! I don't want to go softer though. My embouchure is not that strong and I want to keep it working and building strength.

I don't know why all the reed manufactures can't just agree on a uniform system! Every decision is a pageant!

This thread is a little confusing and I reply with a certain amount of hesitance.
but with reference to the initial question, most reed makers supply reeds in half strengths - i.e. 2, 2.5 3, 3.5 and so on.
However
The Rico Jazz Select, which are now called D'Addario come in third strengths in other words 2.0, 2.3, 2.6, 3.0, 3.3, 3.6 etc.
A 3 soft is a 3, a 3 medium is a 3.3 and a 3 hard is a 3.6 strength.
It doesn't end there of course because manufacturers cut their reeds slightly differently, french cut, american cut and have their own individual tolerances.
I've played Rico Royals predominently for the last 50 years but after a change of mouthpiece 12 months ago I now play the D'Addario Jazz Select. They kick ass for me and I play every one in the box 'til it dies.
It's a can of worms, like mouthpieces, you just need to find the make and strength that suits you and your style of playing and stick with it.
In my experience too much messing about with equipment is not conducive to becoming a good sax player.

In my experience too much messing about with equipment is not conducive to becoming a good sax player.

I agree. I have not tried a lot of different mouthpieces. I am only interested in these reeds because I don't think the medium hards sound as good as the mediums...

Thank you!

I have the same set up as you (Meyer 6M) and I use D'Addario Select Jazz 3M. On a slightly more opened Soloist D I use the 3S. Changed this month for Legere Signature 2.25 and found the same response. Best

I have the same set up as you (Meyer 6M) and I use D'Addario Select Jazz 3M. On a slightly more opened Soloist D I use the 3S. Changed this month for Legere Signature 2.25 and found the same response. Best

Well, after playing the Select Jazz 3M for a while I have to say that I love these reeds!

They are a bit thicker but not where you can't bend notes and I find them to be warmer sounding than the LaVoz medium hards.

My new go to reed!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom