support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recipes Curry

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
I've always been a big fan of a good curry, ever since I was at college in Leeds and you could get a meat or chicken curry at the Chakwal for 50p and as many chapattis as you wanted as long as you didn't need a knife and fork. Or the Karachi Social Club in Bradford. I learnt to make a good curry and always ground and mixed the spices - no curry powder.

I have however now found a ready mixed that actually tastes good. maybe never as good as freshly ground, but when in a hurry this stuff actually works well, but you can only get it in selected Asian stores. It's called Shan's.

They do an enormous range, including some quite weird sounding ones like "hooves curry" and "brain, heart and kidneys" curry.

But well worth a try. (Use about 1/4 of what they say to begin with - they're mighty hot & spicy)

Pete, what is it with you? You're obsessed!
It's only food.

I've still got the 12" 'Dancing & Dining with the Deep Sea Divers' from 1984.
Dining side: Track One, Bananas
Track Two, Sausages, beans, onions and gravy.

Actually, that reminds me.
I think I'll post my recipe for 'Liver & bacon surprise' here.
It's easy and it's cheap, go and do it. As someone once said.

Pip pip

One of the things I like about DIY curry powder is that, because I never measure it out, it's never twice the same!!
And, it may be teaching egg-sucking but it helps to 'toast' the spices together in a thick-bottomed pan before grinding.
I love (lots of) black pepper with just about everything!

I've always been a big fan of a good curry, ever since I was at college in Leeds and you could get a meat or chicken curry at the Chakwal for 50p and as many chapattis as you wanted as long as you didn't need a knife and fork. Or the Karachi Social Club in Bradford. I learnt to make a good curry and always ground and mixed the spices - no curry powder.

I have however now found a ready mixed that actually tastes good. maybe never as good as freshly ground, but when in a hurry this stuff actually works well, but you can only get it in selected Asian stores. It's called Shan's.

They do an enormous range, including some quite weird sounding ones like "hooves curry" and "brain, heart and kidneys" curry.

But well worth a try. (Use about 1/4 of what they say to begin with - they're mighty hot & spicy)
Love a good curry myself, but not having an asian community here I am not aware of any asian shops, pity. Could drive to So'ton I suppose, but seems a bit drastic. Used to use Pataks curry paste, not the sauce, but tried the ready ground curry powder available in Julian Grave's, and it's very good, and cheap too. No, I don't have shares! Well worth a try if the 'real thing' not readily available.

the secret of a good curry, in my books- loads or coriander... chop the stems in and all.. yum (any tips on home growing the stuff welcome, I just cannot get it to behave)

the secret of a good curry, in my books- loads or coriander... chop the stems in and all.. yum (any tips on home growing the stuff welcome, I just cannot get it to behave)

coriander.jpg

We used to grow from proper packet seeds, but when caught short she used the whole seed as bought in the big bags for cooking, used them ever since - seems to work fine!

yum (any tips on home growing the stuff welcome, I just cannot get it to behave)
No problem. You need a garden on a hill in sunny Southampton.

One big advantage of growing your own is not just the leaves, but the seeds if you leave some plants. We get them when they are still fresh and green rather than dried.

BTW, did anyone notice my friend Norman Pace on Celebrity Cook get out of Here (or whatever) vs Vanessa Feltz.

Norm cooks a mean curry.

You would have seen a cameo appearance form me, Laurie and Jim.

I just thought I'd post this warning.

I was preparing ingredients for an interesting Malaysian potato and dal recipe; obviously with lots of different ingredients. By the time I got to chopping mint...

... Anyway, my thumb tip will heal ...

Don't forget, people: curry preparation can be exhausting and a moments lost concentration bad for the sax playing.

Let's be careful out in the kitchen!

It seems that the kitchen scissors have almost disappeared from the modern culinary armoury. We never had big knives when I was a kid.

Chopping can be accomplished in a safer way not using knives. Scissors, mandolin or a double bladed mezzaluna can save time and injury for the less dextrous among us.

I've all sorts of cooking utensils. But for safety:
- don't rush
- stop if you're depleted
- Think!
Right. We use to have something that is called "Mise en place" in the kitchen so we don't have run and rush so much. The things/ingredients you need are already near you and chopped/cut before the battle starts.

Back
Top Bottom