Photo contest

Recipes Curry

Every culture has to have a hot and spicy phase - except the upper MIdwest US where there are only two spices - salt and pepper - and they look askance at pepper.

Here in Texas it's Mexican food (to be specific, the Tex-Mex variant) so we're really not up on curry, nor (except for our Texans of Chinese heritage) Hunan or Szechuan.

Well, in Norway the food is sooo bland, the fiskekaker actually have a Scoville number of around -1000.
They do, now, however, have Tacos Thursday
.. a triumph of marketing.
Is it true that the Norwegian eats lots of frozen pizza (Grandiaosa) on Christmas Eve? The biggest pizza day in Sweden is New Year Day. Hung over pizza with lots of fat! "Det är synd om människorna"

Is it true that the Norwegian eats lots of frozen pizza (Grandiaosa) on Christmas Eve? The biggest pizza day in Sweden is New Year Day. Hung over pizza with lots of fat! "Det är synd om människorna"
Yes Grandiosa is a staple, particularly with students.
But Swedish pizza's basel-heavy tomato source... 😢

If I have understand it right "a curry" can be "veggo", poultry, fish, meat ..... the common thing is the curry (spice mix). The spice mix curry was a little bit exotic when I started to cook. Often used and served in more open minded places/towns. Still hard for me to really understand why we use dominant spices when have very good ingredients. A pan fried halibut filet with curry and when the halibut is ready stir-fry lobster, shrimps in the butter that is the pan ..... ? All the natural fine tastes are killed by the curry. On the west coast of Sweden and Norway we have very good fish and sea food.

The curry is here to stay!!!! Curry and Banana Pizza is popular. Sometimes spiced with peanuts as well. You can also get a mix of the "Curry and Banana" and the Canadian invention "Hawaii Pizza" (ham and pineapple).

I like cross cooking, mixing styles, strange connections ........ . In the village where I grew up lived a man who was called "Carl Arizona". I don't know why he was called Arizona? He was a car mechanic and had an Hawaii orchestra. On posters we could see and read about "Carl Arizonas Hawaii Orkester" from .....playing on .... harvest festival. They were good. Carl could play the accordion with the right tremble/wobble/shudder. I'm sure all the dancers would like to have a slice of Curry Banana or Hawaii Pizza if it was possible back then. I would love to play tenor sax in Arizonas Hawaii orchestra. Forget perfect pitch, keys .... just play and have a good time.

I have however now found a ready mixed that actually tastes good. maybe never as good as freshly ground, but when in a hurry this stuff actually works well, but you can only get it in selected Asian stores. It's called Shan's.
Shan's is good. I learned curry at a very young age as my father visited ships from India in the Rotterdam harbors and could obtain the good spices. Sometimes I use Ras-El-Hanout in the same way as Shan's.

Here is said Curry from post 17

The air is consumed with that spicy aroma of a curry house and will be still this time tomorrow.
4 portions ready for the freezer and its all your fault. :D

IMG_7360.jpg

Last edited:
The closest thing in Mexican food to curry is probably mole - a sauce containing usually chocolate and hot peppers. (Mexican chocolate isn't a sweet food.) In Tex-Mex, there's chili as well.

Most cuisines have a hot and spicy division. Thus curry; thus Hunan and Szechuan food; thus Tex-Mex; and so on.

we have small curry tree

Is it in a pot and inside? I've been looking for one variety that is supposedly a house plant, but all the nurseries seem to have is the tree which is supposed to get quite big. One of them told me trimming it regularly would suffice but I was having doubts.

except the upper MIdwest US where there are only two spices - salt and pepper
It could be Sweden as well. I don't think it's bad to just use SoP when we are cooking. I use to have the student to smell and taste a chicken that was cooked as is. Just put in a plastic bag (vaccum) and cooked to 72 degrees celcius. Five chicken and they all had differnt aromas. From swimmingpool, fish .... . I guess they all would be good base for Nasi Goreng.

Latest: Members' Recordings

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom