support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cultural Appropriation - Your Take?

Yes. while the people to whom the culture belongs quite rightly object, I used the term 'nobody' rather loosely referring to the nobodies who think they are somebodies, such as SJWs, the self righteous, the chattering classes, the twitter fascists.

Not forgetting the Whangdoodles. The Snozzwangers. The Vermicious Knids.

Or when people get dressed up and get traditionally pissed in Oirish themed pubs on St Patrick's day.
That was a fad here .. wow... I’m going back to the 90s!! I recall drunken .... I’ll say “twits”.... with “Happy St Paddy day” written on an oversized top hat made from green foam, pinwheeling down the streets the morning after while other people were setting off to work. That fad is thankfully over now. We had some jousters on St George’s day at my childrens’ primary School and the mothers wanted them back year after year as they hadn’t had that much excitement since the Loose WI bun sale.

That was a fad here .. wow... I’m going back to the 90s!! I recall drunken .... I’ll say “twits”.... with “Happy St Paddy day” written on an oversized top hat made from green foam, pinwheeling down the streets the morning after while other people were setting off to work. That fad is thankfully over now. We had some jousters on St George’s day at my childrens’ primary School and the mothers wanted them back year after year as they hadn’t had that much excitement since the Loose WI bun sale.
I think I'll have to come down there and reenact the Viking invasion.

My childrens' grandparents are Austrian.
I understand the history of the Dirndl and I also understand why it is offensive that British women wear slutty versions of it and look and behave like drunken prostitutes at Oktoberfest and so do the local people celebrating.
It seems to me that some people think that you can pick and choose what culture to trash and which ones you can't.

I doubt that many people actually find it offensive - I'm pretty sure that most folks do what we all do in such situations...which is to roll the eyes, shake the head and remark that "There's always one". It's like being asked to play a Shania Twain number when you're on a jazz gig - some people just never 'get it'.
That's the thing about a culture - it runs deep, and a handful of numpties in silly hats really isn't going to make much of an impression on it.
Unless, of course, everyone else thinks "Wow! Silly hats! What a bangin' idea!".
This, of course, has happened many, many times - which is why I'm currently enjoying a few olives with my pint of Tanglefoot.

This is an interesting subject. I'm no philosopher or great thinker, but it makes me think of French people borrowing english words while not knowing anything about the english language or culture. That's one of the reasons I claim that the best way to defend the French language, as some feel it is under attack by that "wrongful" appropriation of english words, is to teach other languages to French kids. The basic idea is that if you do know a language and its related culture, you have some respect for it and don't mix it with your own, or at least if you do, that is consciously.

The same goes with music, cuisine and pretty much everything else.

As long as you know what you're doing and you understand where it comes from, you take a respectful approach and that's fine with me.

If you do it without knowing, it's just sad.

I'd say that I'm a better cook than I'm a musician. I never studied cooking, but I got the family bug from my mother's side, with ancestors in France and Spain that spent time in north Africa (mostly Morocco). My mother was ways curious about other cuisine as she travelled and I picked up from there...

Only played by natives of that country and only in that country.

With any luck, the same rule could be applied to the bagpipes. :optimistic:

Indeed!! We dont mind.. It just shows class!! BTW Check out the pic below.. i thought we all lived there.( pic NSA copyright) . Regards

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

""Cultural appropriation, you should be ashamed of yourself.
The first archaeological records for the bagpipes are from the Hittite empire in 1000BC. ""

Aye Laddie.... You are correct and by the same logic anthropologists say we are all decended from humans in the Rift Valley in Africa.. Cultural Missaproprition? No thanks!! ...Regards.... An interesting sax thread though!!!...

Aye Laddie.... You are correct and by the same logic anthropologists say we are all decended from humans in the Rift Valley in Africa.. Cultural Missaproprition? No thanks!! ...Regards.... An interesting sax thread though!!!...
There is also the theory that humans are all descended from a single female member of the hominin species which would suggest humans are all a Lucy nation.

Back
Top Bottom