support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Corton Deluxe. Yanagisawa?

It is great to have people with your knowledge as members of the forum. Invaluable and with a common sense opinion. Very unusual in this day and age!

Corton saxophones were GENERALLY made by Amati but it is possible the Yanagisawa made the Corton “ de luxe”.

05112011024.jpg
The Corton Deluxe saxes I've owned and played were based on Yanagisawa! To be honest I don't know which model but sopranos and baritones are often stamped with "6" and altos and tenors with "5". The -75 Corton Deluxe was a modern construction?
cortondeluxeincase.jpg
cortondeluxels.jpg

then there were successive generations of Yanagisawa made Corton de Luxe.

The A & T 5, certainly desirable, are different from the A & T 6 and the 6 are definitely a very desirable saxophones .

then there were successive generations of Yanagisawa made Corton de Luxe.

The A & T 5, certainly desirable, are different from the A & T 6 and the 6 are definitely a very desirable saxophones .
Long time No see! The sax is still in use and I love it. Do you have any idea how I can see what kind of yani-model this saxophone is? A4? A5? A6?

I know nothing of the Yani-made Cortons, but I feel I must add another vote sticking up for the Amati-made ones. I've had my Amati-Corton alto since the mid 80s and it's always performed brilliantly - I've replaced a few pads myself recently, but other than that it's not needed any tech attention in all the time I've had it. Built like a tank, sounds like a saxophone. And there's the bonus that it's worth so little that I don't (didn't :( ) worry about taking it to rock gigs. Even the case isn't as bad as some people reckon IMO - OK there's sod all padding on the top, but that can easily be solved with a towel. I used to carry mine to band practices strapped on the back of my bike - don't think I'd fancy its chances in an aeroplane hold but for general transporting of the sax it does its job quite well I reckon.

Regarding ergonomics I don't know - I've never had a sax with "modern" key layout, but it's done the job well enough for me not to have felt I need to replace it with anything newer or "better". If it were to be stolen or destroyed in some way I may be tempted to look at alternatives like Yamaha, but TBH if the chance came along to replace it like for like for the £100 or so I think mine is worth I'd have another old Amati.

The Amati/Corton alto and tenor in the guise of Boosey and Hawkes Lafleur were the only affordable instrument in the 1980's. Even so it was bought on HP. Still got my alto. I Wouldn't part with it. Green though it is.

There are loads of these supposedly crappy horns for sale every day. I've steered clear so far, but if cheap enough I'd bite just for a look-see.

I risked £50 on an almost new black Ammoon alto yesterday, just to see if how awful it is.
Mad fool... someone local pipped me to it. Phew...

They are not special and not very ergonomic. More agricultural than a modern decent Chinese. No tilting table. No F#. Cheap and cheerful but not an investment or a profit maker. Financialy not worth the cost of a professional repad. Good enough for a beginner to self restore and play.

Back
Top Bottom