All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Conn baritones

badenia

Locality
California
I am still working on the Cavalier serial number dating study. So if you have any Cavalier reeds, the serial numbers would be helpful. Based on what I can find out, Cavalier only had 2 models of saxes the 92M alto, and the 96M tenor. Since the Conn family of saxes are similar as they spread through the Pan American and Cavalier lines, I am sure there are Conn and Pan American models similar to these. I have seen many people confuse the model issue by calling Cavaliers by their Conn or Pan American cousin models. There are diferences probably relating to the handling of braces, tone holes, and decoration elements etc. At least this is what I have found in the brass.
I am still hoping to see a picture of a Cavalier baritone sax. Besides the one mentioned in this thread I have seen a couple of other mentions on the Internet.
Interestingly enough, the name Cavalier was used in the mid 1950's (1956/57) by Conn as a model name after both the Pan American and Cavalier lines were discontinued. So far though I have only seen this relative to clarinets.
So far, it also looks like the sax line may have stopped early as the highest serial number I have registered to date is 16122. The clarinets however, go to 68033 so far. I need to get to 384 examples in the reeds lines before I can really draw conclusions. I am at 191 at the moment.

badenia

Locality
California
Relative to Pan American reeds, I have 402 examples registered and hope to do some analysis this weekend. It is conceivable that a dating model may emerge. However, please add Pan American serial numbers to this thread also as the survey will continue regardless of whether I can develop the dating system or not from the existing sample list..

badenia

Locality
California
I am still working on the Pan American and Cavalier serial number studies. Current findings are posted on the saxontheweb forum thread, "Cavalier Production Dates." If you have a Cavalier or Pan American product, it would be appreciated if you could add the serial number to the sample. I record the complete information in the serial number area, the finish (brass or silver), key guard (Mercedes or T Type, opposing or same side bell keys. On Sopranos I also record straight or curve. The stencils for these lines are identified by the similarity (actual their identical) to their Cavalier or Pan American counterpart and often have leading "P", "W" or "0" leading digits. If the horn was produced after the prefixes weredropped, they look like later model horns with earlier serial numbers. Of course the stencil name is recorded too.
Thanks,

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom