support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Christmas pressie

The neck for a start !

Rhys
It does loook a little tenor-ish, exacerbated in this pic by the m/p hanging off the end. Here's another of them

1639597732833.png

Absolutely no chance of getting it over the next month but perhaps in these times it's nice to have something to look forward to.
There's a huge variety of prices and quality on these sites. but most folks agree that when / if they manage to get a "goodun" the cheese factor goes off the scale.
I myself have bought 2 excellent instruments in the last 2 years. It's not for everyone though.

Great fun to be had just trawling through the ads even if you ain't a buyer

Thomann LowJazz L Baritone to low Bb. I played one the other year and it was good. Nice clean baritone voice. Not as big as Conn 12M or The Martin Baritone ...... . No low A key. Most guys prefer low A baris.

Looks nice, but alas it's a nine hour round trip from my house. A bit far. Thanks for posting anyway.
You have to be prepared to put in some effort if you want to get a bargain bari.
;)
Almost 2 years ago I went to Aberdeen to get my bari (Stephanhouser, a real bargain), a 2700 km round trip from Belgium.
We made it into a family holiday, and discovered the amazing natural beauty and hospitality of Schotland. So that was an added bonus :)

For R&B I've always preferred a low Bb bari. They feel to have more guts to me
I also prefer a low Bb bar. But on the other I've just owned one low A bari. A welklang from the 70's. Not bad but a more bassonlike tone comaped to my Martin.

Listen to my sax hero David Woodford opionion about low Bb vs low A, Woody is on a Dukoff D chamber as well. Woodford laid down his saxes for some years ago.
View: https://youtu.be/_0arR_sTX0k

Or different factories all making saxes from the same design?
Assembling machines from common parts. So basically the same machine but with lots of potential for variation.
I noticed this first in the naughties when I was getting cloned 50 cc water cooled engines in from China at a tenth of the price of the Italian ones. All parts were interchangeable and the cloned engine workshop manual was basically a counterfeit of the Italian manual.

The assembly and far more relevantly the setup ,which will probably involve crucial bending and manipulation of the adjustment materials , of a Saxophone is a skilled operation. If a Chinese saxophone is assembled and tested by operatives that are more experienced and skilled simply due to the high numbers passing through their hands then there is a high probability that a sax assembled by them will perform as well as/ better than one assembled elsewhere by operatives that although also highly skilled may not work on as many .

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom