• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Changing to harder reed

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a pack of 5 Bravo alto sax reeds from Amazon. The music shops here don't sell synthetic reeds. Please, does anyone have any experience with these? They are about 1/6th the price of l`egere reeds . You get 5 for £21.29. The reviews on Amazon are good. I don't know what strength to get, but probably 2's.
I've not tried the Bravo synthetics yet, but they're on my list of things to try - eventually I'll work my way through every synthetic reed available..
It's a pity that Bravo don't sell them singly, so we could try a few different strengths and find the one that suits our needs
oh, hang on, just spotted a box of 5 mixed strengths so you can try out a 2, 2.5,3,3.5 and 4
Bravo Synthetic Reeds for Alto Saxophone - Box of 5 - Mixed Strengths 4710945148557 | eBay

a reviewer on the Dawkes website says that they're 'half weaker than the Vandoren Classic'

In general, I'd say that no synthetic reed will ever properly mimic the properties of a cane reed and they tend to take a week or two of playing to get used to. Some people will never like synthetic reeds, others are quite happy with them. I never liked cane reeds, so for me they're ideal, but I prefer my Bari Star to a Legere, so what would I know?

here's a review of the clarinet reeds - The $4 Bravo Synthetic Reed | Clarineat
and the sax reeds - Bravo Reeds: Is this the synthetic reed you have been looking for? » Best. Saxophone. Website. Ever.
 
I'm not sure what 'half weaker' means. Are Bravo 2.o like Vandoren 2.5?

If so, I guess the mixed strength is a good deal. I usually can't play a 3.5 or a 4.0 on alto. But it if they are half a strength down, then it would be in a perfect range to try with closed to open mouthpieces.

Unfortunately they are not (yet) available in France, at least in that mixed pack format.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,078
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom