• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner recording Can't Help Falling in Love

Maybe there's a misunderstanding, because my english is to bad?
It's not any recording... it's a recording I did this afternoon...

???
last
No misunderstanding, I understood it was your recording, it takes me weeks to get anything recorded good enough to post. I thought you did well....🙂

Jx
 
Very nice. Your tone, phrasing, and style are to be complimented. I thought the intonation was quite good as well. The only (teacher's hat on) suggestions I might make are:

- Remove the water from the back of the reed by inhaling sharply before you play
- Polish the backs of your reeds by rubbing them with the grain on the inside of a music book cover on a very flat surface till they "click"
- Be careful to listen to the accompaniment and play "in time". Just a few spots near the end needed attention
 
Very nice. Your tone, phrasing, and style are to be complimented. I thought the intonation was quite good as well. The only (teacher's hat on) suggestions I might make are:

- Remove the water from the back of the reed by inhaling sharply before you play
- Polish the backs of your reeds by rubbing them with the grain on the inside of a music book cover on a very flat surface till they "click"
- Be careful to listen to the accompaniment and play "in time". Just a few spots near the end needed attention

Thank you @jbtsax ! I agree on every point.
I'll try to do it better time by time...

:old:last
 
Last edited:
Very nice. Your tone, phrasing, and style are to be complimented. I thought the intonation was quite good as well. The only (teacher's hat on) suggestions I might make are:

- Remove the water from the back of the reed by inhaling sharply before you play
- Polish the backs of your reeds by rubbing them with the grain on the inside of a music book cover on a very flat surface till they "click"
- Be careful to listen to the accompaniment and play "in time". Just a few spots near the end needed attention
I think there’s an opportunity for me to learn something here too. @jbtsax, could you please tell me what you heard that made you recommend pulling out the water and polishing the reed? I’m an intermediate level player and these subtleties are the kinds of things I want to learn.

Thanks!
 
I think there’s an opportunity for me to learn something here too. @jbtsax, could you please tell me what you heard that made you recommend pulling out the water and polishing the reed? I’m an intermediate level player and these subtleties are the kinds of things I want to learn.
Thanks!

Sometimes there is some kind of bubbling to hear.
I think that's what @jbtsax meant?

:old:last
 
I think there’s an opportunity for me to learn something here too. @jbtsax, could you please tell me what you heard that made you recommend pulling out the water and polishing the reed? I’m an intermediate level player and these subtleties are the kinds of things I want to learn.

Thanks!
To me it sounds like bacon sizzling in a pan. It is caused by water on the back of the reed. Microphones are really good a picking up this frequency. I am a "wet player"---one who salivates a lot when I play so I am very conscious of this sound.
 
To me it sounds like bacon sizzling in a pan. It is caused by water on the back of the reed. Microphones are really good a picking up this frequency. I am a "wet player"---one who salivates a lot when I play so I am very conscious of this sound.

Thank you. I also salivate excessively which is why I asked.
 
Thank you! I have to admit that @Guenne gave my the same advice a few weeks ago, but I obviously can't do it better until yet.

Guenne could tell you the exact opposite.
Depends how you blow. More is not necessarily better.

Anyway, nice recording.
I don't care too much about the sizzling, in fact just a verly little bit makes it sound lively to my ears.

A few words about your playing: You have to learn to smooth out the "problems" in the different registers of the horn. While low notes are fine, the first few overblown notes are rather sharp, above my threshold of forgiving. They also sound different. The tone gets unstable in the upper range of the horn.
I think that part of your practicing (if your are not satisified with the already fine result) should be overtones, register change exercises etc.

Personally, I'd also go for a different kind of reverb 🙂

Cheers, Guenne
 
Hallo @Guenne ! 🙂

Yes - I am aware of my problems in the different registers.
I know - it's still a long way to go for me. But (as you might remember, I am playing for less than four years now) for now I am glad with today's result. 🙂 I love that song - and to me my recording is good enough for now.
But nevertheless of course I try to get better (if my job gives me some time for practicing) and therefore
I thank you all @Colin the Bear , @jbtsax , @Guenne for your kind comments!

:old:last
 
Last edited:
That was a really good version - you should be very satisfied.
I find these slow ballads very hard to sustain, and you managed it.
I liked the quiet, slightly breathy, tone. It gives an extra atmosphere to the piece.
 
Last edited:

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,263
Messages
576,112
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom