• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones C Melody Saxophones

This is very interesting, since the previous pictures of a Beaugnier C melody (in polished brass finish) show a straight, alto style neck (post 656). Now this silver plated one with a curved (tenor style) neck. Also I note the brass one has a one piece low B/Bb guard and the silver one has two guards. Both appear to have the G# link switch which I believe is unique to Beaugnier and MAYBE SML.

There are two mysteries to me:

1) Why did Beaugnier, sometime in the 1950s/60s, decide to make a run of C melodies, a voice that most people considered obsolete since the mid 1920s?

2) And who bought that silver plated one and used it so heavily that all the plating's worn off wherever the player touched it, plus on the key guards and other places?

At least one saxophone player wanted a C melody and used it, A LOT, in the 1950s or 60s. Who, and where were they playing it?

I own a Beaugnier bass sax, and I've played a couple Beaugnier altos, and they're really very fine playing instruments, very easy playing, excellent finger action. These two C melodies are very interesting.
 
This is very interesting, since the previous pictures of a Beaugnier C melody (in polished brass finish) show a straight, alto style neck (post 656). Now this silver plated one with a curved (tenor style) neck. Also I note the brass one has a one piece low B/Bb guard and the silver one has two guards. Both appear to have the G# link switch which I believe is unique to Beaugnier and MAYBE SML.
Very different builds. The brass one was specifically made for Vito, early’60s. The silver plate appears to be a house made brand or one off stencil ? The silver plate build has features consistent with 1950-1960 Beaugnier altos
I’ve seen that G# on another maker, but can’t remember what. I haven’t had an SML or Beaugnier on my bench. So it wasn’t one of those.
There are two mysteries to me:

1) Why did Beaugnier, sometime in the 1950s/60s, decide to make a run of C melodies, a voice that most people considered obsolete since the mid 1920s?
Very odd indeed and I’ve never seen another.
2) And who bought that silver plated one and used it so heavily that all the plating's worn off wherever the player touched it, plus on the key guards and other places?
Definitely well enjoyed. Would be interesting to know the history of ownership. A picture of the sax being played would be a rare find.
At least one saxophone player wanted a C melody and used it, A LOT, in the 1950s or 60s. Who, and where were they playing it?
Especially considering it likely never left Europe. C Mel’s weren’t popular in Europe like they were in the US.
I own a Beaugnier bass sax, and I've played a couple Beaugnier altos, and they're really very fine playing instruments, very easy playing, excellent finger action.
Bass is worthy of posting on “Rarely Discussed” thread !

These two C melodies are very interesting.
I agree. It’s cool to see something different in C for a change.
 
Very different builds. The brass one was specifically made for Vito, early’60s. The silver plate appears to be a house made brand or one off stencil ? The silver plate build has features consistent with 1950-1960 Beaugnier altos
I’ve seen that G# on another maker, but can’t remember what. I haven’t had an SML or Beaugnier on my bench. So it wasn’t one of those.

Very odd indeed and I’ve never seen another.

Definitely well enjoyed. Would be interesting to know the history of ownership. A picture of the sax being played would be a rare find.

Especially considering it likely never left Europe. C Mel’s weren’t popular in Europe like they were in the US.

Bass is worthy of posting on “Rarely Discussed” thread !


I agree. It’s cool to see something different in C for a change.
I'm happy that you find my c melody Beaugnier very interesting because it's for that i choose to pay this little "baby"

I was intrigued by the idea of owning a C-Melody with "modern" keywork that wasn't made in China,

And by having the first—and only—Beaugnier in my collection;

I try to acquire as many different brands as possible.
 
Very different builds. The brass one was specifically made for Vito, early’60s. The silver plate appears to be a house made brand or one off stencil ? The silver plate build has features consistent with 1950-1960 Beaugnier altos
I’ve seen that G# on another maker, but can’t remember what. I haven’t had an SML or Beaugnier on my bench. So it wasn’t one of those.

Very odd indeed and I’ve never seen another.

Definitely well enjoyed. Would be interesting to know the history of ownership. A picture of the sax being played would be a rare find.

Especially considering it likely never left Europe. C Mel’s weren’t popular in Europe like they were in the US.

Bass is worthy of posting on “Rarely Discussed” thread !


I agree. It’s cool to see something different in C for a change.

It's not stencils, or for me it's not and Probably not, they're litterally write beaugnier on the bell,

I don't know if stencils have the name of the original manufactor
Pan american has not writing conn Ltd for exemple.

And it has litteraly the logo of beaugnier too

The house made or modele of beaugnier was more realiste with this engraving
IMG_20261005_211540.webp

IMG_20261005_211534.webp

But i don't know,

A picture of the sax being played would be a rare find : maybe, because before i didn't know beaugnier made C-melody and it's first time that i see beaugnier c melody,

Vito i know that, but i didn't know Vito was made by beaugnier, i thank it was leblanc because leblanc Vito

But you know more thing about Vito or c melody than me.

But that special too, it's not big alto design similar of conn c melody but little tenor has choosing for this models, it could be explain they're changing totally the conception in the modernization of c melody between this model and Vito

Maybe a custom order similary of c melody balanced action/sba/mark vi but i didn't believe that, because Vito c melody was developped after,

It would be strange decision to developped c melody on order before, and after to developped in catalog, it's no sense,

It's no sense developping c melody in 1960 too, you say me
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,286
Messages
576,802
Members
8,092
Latest member
carlraven
Back
Top Bottom