support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BW Not playing G properly

Re: The mysterious case of the 'G'...

Sallie

Could you confirm which G is the problem? Your post (#23) suggested that the lower G was now OK, but the upper G was a problem. Is that still the case?

No. Since replacing the cork, the upper G plays fine. It's the lower G that is the persistent problem, along with the F#

If so, when you finger that upper G, does the pad on the neck come down and grab the fag paper over the tone hole as it should?

Although the upper G plays fine, the octave key pad on the crook closes, but does not 'grab' a fag paper.

Thanks,

Sallie

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread...

Are you sure about the neck octave key not grabbing rolling paper? That is, you put a piece of rolling paper between the pad and the octave tube, release the key back and then pull the paper. It shouldn't necessarily grab so hard that you can't pull it out. It should be a little resistant. If you hold the paper and pull very close to the tube you can also slightly open the key with the pulling force.

It is strange if this is the problem that it only interferes with G and F# but it's possible.

One option is that the G# doesn't close by its lever, but is closed by the F# key (top key of lower stack, which you don't press with your finger). This situation will result in all notes playing fine except G. Then it's also possible that the lower stack has an adjustment problem of the F# key closing G#, the E key (right hand middle finger key) doesn't close F# and the F key closes the F# key. This will result in all notes playing except G and F#.

It is possible this is affecting the low register only because leaks, depending on their size, location, etc. can usually be much more easily overcome in the upper register.

Try playing the G while physically pressing the G# key with your right hand. Try playing F# by pressing the normally middle finger key with your ring finger or pinky and use your other fingers (probavbly thumb and first finger) to close the G# and F# keys (two keys right under the G key). Does any of that help?

Last edited by a moderator:

My house guests arrived in Crete bearing sundry assorted bits for my rapidly expanding repair kit. I have now resolved the leaking 'A' key, resulting in a well-behaved 'G'. However, the sax is going back to the supplier when I next return to the UK, for either a complete strip-down and re-build or replacement; we are still talking about what course of action to take. I've lost a bit of confidence in it, and of late that has been evident in my playing.

I am very grateful to all who offered suggestions, remedies and general advice. Thank-you one and all!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom