support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Bum note on tenor sax.

Roy Gussman

Just to bring the forum up to date with my problem which I had hoped I had cured by reverting back to the original mouthpiece did not work. After a couple of days It or I reverted back to playing the bum note (middle "D").
So after great frustrations and loosing my temper (No damage was done), I decided to give up trying to play the saophone and go back to the piano which is my first love. I will not get rid of the saxophone in case I get the urge to try again.
I would like to remain a member of this forum just in case someone

has the answer to my problem.

Regards

Gusev.

Hi Fraser Jarvis,
Many thanks for your suggestion, I will endevour to try and see if it works for me. I do hope so.

Will let you all know if it works.

Regards

Gus.

Middle D is well known to be stuffy on the majority of horns. Doing work on your diaphragm breathing will help as it needs lots of support, this will also improve your tone overall. Don't give up!

I use the palm key D unless it's a quick passage where I haven't got my fingers around it yet. Watch the tuning though as it will usually have an flattening effect.

Yep it's a notoriously stuffy note and as Fraser says you can always add in palm key D if you want more clarity but I personally don't worry about it too much - just play and enjoy :thumb:

Just given this palm d a try and there is a change in tone but if your ok to start with what is it doing to the note or if it does change are you definately out before adding it:shrug::headscratch::confused2:

I would not have thought that would be sufficient to give up playing the sax.
Like anything else i am sure it will improve with practice.
Go on, pick it back up and keep at it.
As they say... If at first you don't succeed......................

You do realise you risk O.G.sending round the CaSLM heavies to drag you back to the fold and the righteous path so maybe best to think about it before making a final decision....john

A few other remedies to try are:

1. Open the low C pad a bit more by unscrewing the adjustable felt a few turns.
  2. Use a bit softer reed. A stiff reed exacerbates the "hooty D" problem.
  3. When playing 4th line D as a long tone, you can add the low C# key to open up the sound, however this can add to the sharpness of the note.
  4. Make sure you are not playing too high on the mouthpiece input pitch.

Hi Gladsaxisme,

The thought of O G sending round the heavies is making me feel nerveous, considering I am proberly older than all of them put together.
To save them the trip of coming all this way to Norfolk from Crystal Palace (my old stomping ground in my youth) I will do as I am told and take it out of its case and try again.

Regards

Gus.

Back
Top Bottom