• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Brass British Brass Bands

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Messages
8,990
Location
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I had never heard brass band music until I was invited to a concert by the Utah Premiere Brass a few years back. It is one of the few brass bands in the United States and was started by a couple from the U.K. Alan Boyer and his wife Ann who moved to Utah.

With lots of local talent Alan quickly created a first rate group with the ability to perform some of the genre's most demanding literature. Ann plays solo chair cornet and has the most beautiful sound I have ever heard on that instrument. Alan is a first rate conductor and he has a great rapport with the audience.

I am starting this thread to see if there are any other fans of this type of music. Of all the group's recordings I have, the Grimethorpe Colliery is my favorite.
 
There is a lovely outside venue near us that has a brass band on from time to time, you have spurred me on to go next year.

Grimethorpe aren't playing there next year but they are at the RNCM end of Jan

Engagements 2016

Jx
 
Last edited:
Ooh I love a brass band and Grimethorpe are wonderful to see live. We were at a Christmas event at Beamish museum (Home - Beamish) last night and a quartet from the North East Brass Ensemble were playing (cornet, flugel horn, horn and euphonium). The playing was sublime. Can't beat a rousing brass band on certain occasions.
 
My father was born in Queensbury so I grew up with the sound of Black Dyke, I went to see them in concert about a year ago and among other things they performed Respighi's The Pines of Rome, very moving.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,214
Members
8,084
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom