support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM July 2019 - Danny Boy (Londonderry Air)

Last edited:
So many wonderful versions of 'Danny Boy'!
I'm a big fan of Eva Cassidy, who's version I'd never heard before . I also really like the Bill Evans version posted bY @Jeanette. Sinéad O'Connor's version made the biggest impression on me through her wonderful expressiveness of this simple melody.

I'm also a fan of jazz and classical pianist Keith Jarrett, In this video, it still amazes me how much concentration he has for this 'simple melody'

Quick take YAS 62 MKI D"Addarrio Select MP Rigotti Gold Jazz 2 1/2 M

I'm back in the land of proper computers and able to listen to some more recordings.

Lovely to have an alto version and one played with such feeling. You sound comfortable right up to the top of the range, including Pete's "highest note in the world".

Rhys

I wish there was a way to erase a post, because I've recorded a new version this morning. It supersedes the old one. The old file was replaced, covering up that shameful abuse of the F# key with new outrageous things. BOTM/SOTM are great exercises for me, since I'd never play most of the songs.

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/danny-swing

That's a fun version and proof that a good tune can work in lots of different styles. Your playing gets better and better, so I'm looking forward to more recordings.

Rhys

OK, here is my first go. Basic, might have to try it a bit slower.

Lovely controlled playing and a lesson to me in tasteful vibrato and "telling a story" in the improvisation.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a nice slow version I stumbled on.

Rhys

I've played this tune before on soprano sax, tenor sax and clarinet using an arrangement out of the Hal Leonard's Ultimate Fake Book I think, but I gave the BOTM arrangement a blast yesterday on my 33 year old 62 series Yamaha alto with a Peter Ponzol Custom Neck and a late 1960s Brilhart Level Air 4* mouthpiece with Rovner ligature and a Rico Select Jazz 2M reed and it sounded pretty good including the high E...excellent arrangement and backing tracks.:thumb:

Greg S.

I've played this tune before on soprano sax, tenor sax and clarinet using an arrangement out of the Hal Leonard's Ultimate Fake Book I think, but I gave the BOTM arrangement a blast yesterday on my 33 year old 62 series Yamaha alto with a Peter Ponzol Custom Neck and a late 1960s Brilhart Level Air 4* mouthpiece with Rovner ligature and a Rico Select Jazz 2M reed and it sounded pretty good including the high E...excellent arrangement and backing tracks.:thumb:

Greg S.

I'd love to hear that - are you going to share a recording with us ?

Rhys

I would like to share with others a bit of my musical experience playing in a wonderful university concert band during the years 1966 - 1970. One of the most moving works we performed was Percy Grainger's beautiful arrangement of the tune "Danny Boy" which he entitled "Irish Tune From County Derry". This recording was made by the Dallas Wind Symphony.

That is a very moving areangement, thank you so much for sharing it

I would like to share with others a bit of my musical experience playing in a wonderful university concert band during the years 1966 - 1970. One of the most moving works we performed was Percy Grainger's beautiful arrangement of the tune "Danny Boy" which he entitled "Irish Tune From County Derry". This recording was made by the Dallas Wind Symphony.

I noticed it says Lincolnshire Posy, spending most days in Lincolnshire I looked it up, he visited Lincolnshire in 1905-1906 and collected a number of folk songs on his travels

Here is a rather rough draft of what I'm doing. All the tracks will be re-recorded.
Having an audio interface makes multi-tracking much easier.

Sounding good. God blend, and some fine top E's.

Back
Top Bottom