All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Looking for R&B Tenor Sax "Danny Boy"

rhysonsax

The other day I heard a snatch of a nice version of "Danny Boy" played as a tenor sax feature (no vocals). It wasn't the usual slow ballad style (a la Ben Webster, Don Byas or Sil Austin) but sounded like a 50s recording in a sort of Fats Domino 12/8 style at slow-medium tempo with lots of growling tenor.

I haven't had any luck searching on iTunes or YouTube, but can anyone here suggest a recording or at least a player that it might have been ?

Rhys

Two Voices

Not sure if you listened to OHRWÜRMER Saxophone Hits. The one on there is a fast pace than the usual Danny Boy's I've heard.

rhysonsax

Presumably not this bloke:
No - I stumbled on that lovely version when searching on YouTube, but the version I heard was faster, more triplety (12/8) and a bit more raunchy.

I keep thinking of people like Herb Hardesty or Red Prysock or Lee Allen but I suppose it could have been someone more recent doing a good impression of them.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Can it be Ace Cannon (Classics)? You can hear it on Spotify.

Thomas
Not Ace Cannon - too mellow and slow: a bit more rocky and raunchy. It's about the same tempo and feel as Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill", if that's any help.

Not John Byrne either, and he's a new name to me.

Thanks

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunray

The other day I heard a snatch of a nice version of "Danny Boy" played as a tenor sax feature (no vocals). ---------- 8< ---------- Snip

Rhys
Hey Hey Rhys ...

Dunno if this is what your looking for ...

Link Here :mrcool

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom