• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Books and suggestions to supplement formal saxophone lessons suggestions

Get rid of the teacher, you don't need one because you seem to know what you're doing.
You can continue to teach yourself without wasting your money.
Doing alright is one thing but I am sure there is plenty for Nomad still to learn, especially if he explores new styles of music. Also having a teacher is quite motivating and being able to share his thoughts and learning can add something to his journey 🙂
 
Doing alright is one thing but I am sure there is plenty for Nomad still to learn, especially if he explores new styles of music. Also having a teacher is quite motivating and being able to share his thoughts and learning can add something to his journey 🙂
But a bad teacher could be worse than none at all. I hope I don't sound like a snob, but the guy faliling grade 8 would ring huge alarm bells with me. Not having taken it in the first place would be a different story. I passed that (on clarinet) when I was at school and wouldn't consider myself qualified to teach an instrument, then or now.
 
But a bad teacher could be worse than none at all. I hope I don't sound like a snob, but the guy faliling grade 8 would ring huge alarm bells with me. Not having taken it in the first place would be a different story. I passed that (on clarinet) when I was at school and wouldn't consider myself qualified to teach an instrument, then or now.
I didn't mean he should stay with his current teacher the sooner he is kicked into touch the better.

Jx
 
So - As this thread can be viewed by the public at large ...

I assume that the teacher under discussion in this thread is not likely to read what's posted here?
Or no one really cares one way or another?

:old: Just a genuine question - Asked with an open mind ...
 
So - As this thread can be viewed by the public at large ...

I assume that the teacher under discussion in this thread is not likely to read what's posted here?
Or no one really cares one way or another?

:old: Just a genuine question - Asked with an open mind ...
Fair comments @Sunray and I do feel a little guilty by my post above now, possibly a little harsh but there is no doubt if the tutor does not suit the pupil or meet their needs or are unable to change, the relationship should end.
 
Last edited:
I figure I'll give him a couple of weeks before I give him the boot, today I decided to do something different for my ptractice routine and decided to teach myself a song I not only couldn't play on another instrument, but didn't know well enough to hum from start to finish. A couple of hours - probably closer to 3 hours, with the sheet music and a fingering chart, and I've managed to teach myself the tune, and even improvise over it - or as I call it add flair and personal touches.


Nomad
 
I avoid Apple Mac products, and I would really rather have a physical product in front of me especially when I'm studying from it - I'm sad and write notes all over sheet music, self help hints and tips those sort of things, I've added your site to my bookmarks, being a fellow Aussie I know the content is good and when I'm not feeling so beat up I'll give it a proper read through - if you're from Melbourne and drink at the Corner Hotel, The Joint, the Espy or Pugs, I'll even move you up on my bookmarks list.


Nomad - the Aussie freezing his man parts off in Scotland

Strewth another Aussie -

You Aussies do insist on wearing the wrong attire...

aboriginals_1906.jpg


My advice if you're living in Scotland wear a kilt, give the sax the heave-ho and take up the bagpipes...:rofl:

Greg S.
 
So - As this thread can be viewed by the public at large ...

I assume that the teacher under discussion in this thread is not likely to read what's posted here?
Or no one really cares one way or another?

:old: Just a genuine question - Asked with an open mind ...
Good points. We're just going with what Nomad says. But not getting the teacher's comments.

However it's pretty clear that it's not working for Nomad. So that gives a couple of alternatives - learn to work with him by being more open/accepting, or do something else. As Nomad's elected to persevere, we have to assume he's getting enough out of it to make the pain worthwhile.

So, what we need now are suggestions on how to deal with it and enjoy the lessons.
 
So, what we need now are suggestions on how to deal with it and enjoy the lessons.

I wouldn't accomodate him. Cancel him now, book the alternative Skype lesson and go back to him if necessary.
 
Maybe the teacher IS looking here but like the rest of us has absolutely no idea who "Nomad" is, like the rest of the annonymous sax players who may or may not even own a sax on here how could he, now if nomad said his real name, lets assume it's Dave Smith i'm sure the teacher would know who it was all along and chime in and tell his side, i mean Nomad's house may be that brightly lit he has no alternative but to wear his sunglasses.....been growing anything in there you shouldent have Nomad??
 
....
Welcome to the light my brother, may the gods of rock smile favourably down apon you.

I haven't got as far as Unforgiven yet, I'm still playing with Enter Sandman, and started Fade To Black this afternoon, I will get round to it one day, it's in my top 20 Metallica tunes, but here is something that migh interest you:...

Nomad

Nice find- although I'm not quite sure how to feel about his "power stance" and air guitar with a saxophone...

Here's another, guitar solo only.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,258
Messages
575,896
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom