All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Reeds Best way to fix Alto sax reeds?

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Hey, ok, didn't want to start a new thread about alto reeds, but here's a question:

I have three Vandoren Blue 2.5 in a Reed Juvenator, they're all recent but not necessarily from the same box. One plays the way I'd expect it to, but the others have a very soft tone and are harder to play. What scares me is that I like the soft tone which produces notes that sound like subtones! What does anyone think this might be caused by? Should a try shaving them off or any of the aforementioned tricks? I've tried bending them a little but they close up easily. I'm not sure if I should keep trying them or ditch them and open a new one.

Colin the Bear

Softer tone comes from a softer reed. Shaving them will make them softer. You need to clip them.

A softer reed will play harder if you move it forward on the mouthpiece. Even to the point of having a small overhang.

If a reed is too hard move it back. This won't be possible with a very thin tip rail. If your piece has a thin tip rail buy reeds a little softer than you like and move them forward.

You can see how much to clip by the amount of overhang.

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I will definitely check this out as I have a number of reeds around at any given moment. But saying "softer", with regard to strength of the reed I have several 2, 2.5, 3 and when I play a 2 they don't make that sound at all.

Dibbs

He started out with a 4 and must have ended up with about a 2 1/2. I bet if you asked him what strength reed he plays he'd say 4.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom