support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Best place for overhaul

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Ok where would you guys who play vintage saxophones take your instrument to have the works done to it repad etc .

Give Griff a pm.

Never heard a word of criticism.

Chris Peryagh in West Sussex is an excellent woodwind repair tech.

Thanks for all the contacts looks like some great people with interesting history . I use Geoff Collins at the moment and have no reason to complain I am very happy so far but would like a few quotes Geoff charges £325 for complete overhaul which I believe is very reasonable but just wanted a few options :)

That sounds like a very reasonable price if it includes body work, leveling toneholes, key fitting, and replacing springs as needed in addition to new pads, corks, felts and so on. In the U.S. that is typically called a "mechanical overhaul" and generally runs anywhere from $900 to $1200 or more depending on who is doing the work.

That sounds like a very reasonable price if it includes body work, leveling toneholes, key fitting, and replacing springs as needed in addition to new pads, corks, felts and so on. In the U.S. that is typically called a "mechanical overhaul" and generally runs anywhere from $900 to $1200 or more depending on who is doing the work.
Am guessing that you would pay a lot more than that if you used tenor madness and went or their legendary set-up?

I`d recommend Either Stephen Howard or Connolly MIR here

I currently use Ray Colomb for the majority of mine- if I need it doing yesterday then he really is quite quick and never had a problem, I do have one with Geoff as has good reviews on this forum and I have had Griff set up one for me too which was excellent, I also have some with Roger Price.

Charlie Connolly took my pile of bits and made them into a Grassi 2000 Pro Tenor for £350. Levelled tone holes. New pads, corks, felts, springs, everything bar the metalwork. Took 2 1/2 days over it and it plays beautifully.

:thumb:

Am guessing that you would pay a lot more than that if you used tenor madness and went or their legendary set-up?

You are correct. Tenor Madness charges up to $1600 for a total mechanical overhaul as does Music Medic for their "Uberhaul". The "dirty little secret" over here is that there are lots of excellent professional repair techs that you have never heard of who do work just as good for a fraction of those prices. I'm not putting those big name places down. They have worked very hard to earn their good reputation and name recognition which makes them more in demand so they can charge more.