support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Berg Larsen Alto Mouthpiece

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Whilst trawling the Devils Junkyard a couple of days ago, I came across a Berg Larsen mouthpiece with a £10 buy-it-now, so I did. Mainly out of curiosity.
Well it arrived today and seems to in very good nick, but I can't find reference to the model on any websites. I'll have a go at posting pics later, but in the meantime a brief description:
ebonite (plastic?), with Berg Larsen signature in red on shank. No other detail stamps (size/model etc)

So can any of you officianados tell me more about it - it may even be a fake for all I know!:confused:

Haven't tried to play it yet....something to look forward to this eve!

I've just bought a metal Berg Larsen mouthpiece for my Tenor (see my latest blog post).

I was talking to my teacher a few weeks ago about tone and whether a better mouthpiece would give me a better tone (currently playing a student plastic Yamaha mouthpiece), and she said 'probably'. She had a couple she didn't use that she was thinking of selling - the Berg Larsen and an Otto Link. I didn't get on at all with the Otto Link, and gave to back quite quickly, but I've enjoyed playing the the Berg Larsen, so bought it off her!!!

If it's an old one you're a lucky so-and-so! I had a 40 year old 110/2 (mellow) M (american long lay). You could get a that breathy, buzzing Getz tone with a softish (PTD synthetic) reed; a 'big-band' sound for section work; and still really blast out rock and blues numbers. A lot of young guys used the PTD/Berg setup.
Tried out a new Berg for my alto couple of weeks ago - disapointing. Bought a Beechler Bellite.
M/pieces always sound different depending on the player - teeth, bone structure, throat, chest. Lots of guys like the Link. I borrowed a Lawton and it didn't do much for me but they have a faithful following and players swear by them.
Not worth spending loads of cash on a m/piece until you've been playing a couple of years - I used to play a plastic Yamaha 7 (big difference to the 6) - otherwise you get bored and start a never-ending search for the 'golden fleece'.

My teacher's been singing the praises of Bergs for ages. Last week he walked in with a Zinner on his tenor and started paising that.... Really, I don't know. I think he's hinting, cos the PPT squeaks a little. lol.

praising modern Bergs and Zinner is definitely an account to a peculiar taste ........
Anyway, Bergs on alto are not the most common of the set ups , we have a major (one of the most seniors ) player (don't normally like his style but there is nothing wrong with his sound.......listen to this......) in Holland Piet Noordijk who uses the Berg Larsen-Selmer combination, here at the Bimhuis

Last edited by a moderator:
no deed to, you can get there.........he played for 60 years.............started at the age of 15

I didn't have the bottle to do it! sorry guys.

Hey Andre, I'm from the "Teddy Boy" era. My hero was and still is, Rudy Pompelli. What an inspiration he was!!!!!!!

I had a metal Berg. m'piece '64 - '65, cant remember the model, wish I could, it was fantastic.
John.

I didn't have the bottle to do it! sorry guys.

Hey Andre, I'm from the "Teddy Boy" era. My hero was and still is, Rudy Pompelli. What an inspiration he was!!!!!!!

I had a metal Berg. m'piece '64 - '65, cant remember the model, wish I could, it was fantastic.
John.

Senex rock!

Thank's for that Andre. I can't remember what I did this morning, but I remember all of the words to all of Bill's numbers, and all of Rudy's solos. My favorite of course, being "Rudy's Rock", which I copied, note for note.
Those were the days, Out playing all along the South coast, five nights a week (working for Reg. Calvert). Getting in at 2am. and up for school in the morning!
We earned £5 a night each then (1957), work that out in today's cash!!!! There were seven of us in the band.

I'm going on again, sorry.

John.

Just found a Berg Larsen mouthpiece in one of my bags. Must have come with a sax I bought. Berg Larsen is written in red. No other details on it. I want an Otto Link 5* so I was wondering if anyone can help me to find out what the Berg is worth? My Otto Linke is around £80 would the Berg mpc be worth as much?

I can then sell and get my Otto!

Back
Top Bottom