All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner Sax Beginner Yamaha 280 or intermediate yamaha 32??

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
I would snap the 32 up if I were you. Cork isn't a problem to replace, it could be done at the first service, which you would be wise to do straight away to get everything in order.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Paul Harvey of the National Philharmonic used a Yamaha YTS-32 tenor, so no problems there. I just remembered Perth has a very good jazz school (Troy Roberts was a graduate) so you should have some good teachers in the area as well as good repair techs.

Good luck and happy honkin'

Greg S.

s.mundi

Locality
Texas Gulf Coast
In 2014, I purchased a beginner cheap Chinese horn and love it..

SaxBoss

Locality
Australia
This an old thread, but was wondered what the OP ended up purchasing and what you found now that it's a few years playing on it?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
@SaxBoss - if you explain your own dilemma, should you be in one, we may be able to help?

SaxBoss

Locality
Australia
As we all know David, people come forward for advice, and so the should, that's what are here for, but a few years down the road it is interesting to see wither they actually stuck with instrument because or wither they lost interest because the set up was bad.

My advice to individuals with questions of this nature is buy the best stretch you can. The horn plays so much more easily and is rewarding to the player to keep up the practising. I have a saying that "the more you do, the better you get". There is simply no short cut.

If I could, I would have every mature age student start out on a YAS/YTS-62. They are a pleasure to play from day one and get better the more you bed the pads in.

Does this make sense to you Dave?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Absolutely. Some say a beginner only needs a "beginner's horn" but as with any hobby or sport the better the equipment the less issues there are to worry about from build quality, ergonomics, and other inadequacies.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom