support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner at 65! Probably crazy.

Welcome Jules, by now you will have gathered starting in your later years is not unusual, enjoy the journey and do ask for advice and support as needed :)

Jx

What a great idea!

Don't listen to those saying it's difficult. It's just that you will move the goal post as you progress. I started just before I turned 50 and I have now tried to play Alto, Tenor, Soprano, Baritone and even C-Melody. I keep trying with various success but although some self inflicted appraisal tells me I'm not talented, I am stubborn and want to continue learning as I also feel there are progress along the line.

But most of all. It's fun!

There is so much to learn and play with ...

And finally, you have found good company here to walk you through. Provided you understand them... Ils parlent bizarrement! ;)

So welcome!

Hello :)

Most people here are from the Middle Paleolithic Period, except for @Targa who comes from somewhere around the Oligocene Epoch, which is considerably older.

Hi Jules
You're in good company. I was 66 (now 68) when I started playing. The only previous musical instrument I played was a triangle in primary school. I now have triplets. A tenor an alto and a soprano. Just enjoy and have fun.
Regards
Roy
Thank you so much Roy - I'm inspired and you give me hope!
Cheers
Jules

Hello all. This is my first post. Am I crazy? I've never played anything in my life and have just started having lessons on an alto sax at the age of 65!
At the moment I have a rented sax (Yamaha YA S26) - thought I'd give it a try for four months (the initial rental period) and then buy an instrument myself if I decide to continue with playing, or just hand it back if I find it too difficult. Only started a few weeks ago but so far it's great! Okay, there are good days and bad days but I can play a few easy, simple tunes without too much trouble and have a very encouraging teacher. There's no question in my mind that I'll go on with it.
Please wish me luck - I'm sure I'm going to need plenty of it!
Jules
Thank you SO MUCH everyone for your kind words of welcome and your enthusiasm and encouragement. I've obviously come to the right place to meet people who are helpful and fun to be with. I look forward to keeping in touch in the future.
Thanks once again and very best wishes to you all.
Cheers
Jules (if I could put in one of those little smiley faces I would, but I don't know how to do it so please consider yourselves all smiled at!)

Hello all. This is my first post. Am I crazy? I've never played anything in my life and have just started having lessons on an alto sax at the age of 65!
At the moment I have a rented sax (Yamaha YA S26) - thought I'd give it a try for four months (the initial rental period) and then buy an instrument myself if I decide to continue with playing, or just hand it back if I find it too difficult. Only started a few weeks ago but so far it's great! Okay, there are good days and bad days but I can play a few easy, simple tunes without too much trouble and have a very encouraging teacher. There's no question in my mind that I'll go on with it.
Please wish me luck - I'm sure I'm going to need plenty of it!
Jules
Right there with ya Jules. Into it 3 1/2 months at age 62! Retirement bucket list item. Have a rental also. Our store puts quite a bit of the rental money into equity towards a new sax. Repairs are very expensive, and rookies can make expensive mistakes. Since repairs are included in the rental, not going to buy for a while. Key word here--FUN!!!

OMG Can't believe I read through all that when I know all sensible Countries drive on the left.. ;)
My understanding had been - which that article corroborates - that basically if Napoleon marched through your lands, you ended up driving on the right.

I'm sceptical about the horse teams, as they weren't suddenly invented in 1700... but I freely admit, not my area of expertise!

By the way, the use of sesquipedalianisms around here is not compulsory... :mrcool

OMG Can't believe I read through all that when I know all sensible Countries drive on the left.. ;)
I heard the original reason for driving on the left was in olden times you could get your sword out with the right hand if needed. Not so convenient for left handers like me, probably why we're so few and far between, to say nothing of far out (man).

Back
Top Bottom