support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner at 65! Probably crazy.

Hello all. This is my first post. Am I crazy? I've never played anything in my life and have just started having lessons on an alto sax at the age of 65!
At the moment I have a rented sax (Yamaha YA S26) - thought I'd give it a try for four months (the initial rental period) and then buy an instrument myself if I decide to continue with playing, or just hand it back if I find it too difficult. Only started a few weeks ago but so far it's great! Okay, there are good days and bad days but I can play a few easy, simple tunes without too much trouble and have a very encouraging teacher. There's no question in my mind that I'll go on with it.
Please wish me luck - I'm sure I'm going to need plenty of it!
Jules

If you're crazy, you're in good company. Good luck with the sax. Have fun here.

welcome aboard Its the fun of the journey that counts not where you end up.

However, a true story of hope. Back in the 50's my first musical mentor, one of Vancouver's top jazz guitarists , told me of a fisherman acquaintance of his who in his 40's decided he wanted to be a concert pianist. He sold his boat and studied intensely for a few years and did become a touring concert pianist. Can't recall the pianists name unfortunately.

Hello all. This is my first post. Am I crazy? I've never played anything in my life and have just started having lessons on an alto sax at the age of 65!
At the moment I have a rented sax (Yamaha YA S26) - thought I'd give it a try for four months (the initial rental period) and then buy an instrument myself if I decide to continue with playing, or just hand it back if I find it too difficult. Only started a few weeks ago but so far it's great! Okay, there are good days and bad days but I can play a few easy, simple tunes without too much trouble and have a very encouraging teacher. There's no question in my mind that I'll go on with it.
Please wish me luck - I'm sure I'm going to need plenty of it!
Jules

Hi Jules
You're in good company. I was 66 (now 68) when I started playing. The only previous musical instrument I played was a triangle in primary school. I now have triplets. A tenor an alto and a soprano. Just enjoy and have fun.
Regards
Roy

A little craziness is essential i would say. Sounds like a great idea to me Jules!

Hi - you're probably at the more sane end of the spectrum....

Welcome to help the age disadvantaged club.
Starting to play sax now seems to be a geriatric/senile hobby. Too much pension to spend and deaf enough not to make your hearing worse.
Graham.

Welcome.
I started playing sax at 65 too and am still having a lot of fun 3 years later. You will probably have good periods when you make progress each day and bad periods when nothing seems to get better - but if you keep going, it's worth it.

Go for it! I started at age 61, three years ago. Before that I pretended I knew how to pluck guitar strings.

... or just hand it back if I find it too difficult.
Nah, just practice a bit more, sure it's difficult and it doesn't reeli get any easier, but what the hell, you could always take up gardening and fail at that too :)

Like a lot on here, I started in my 50's, I'm happy with my progress, if, like most people, not yet happy with my actual playing :)

Come join us in the Ballad of the Month and Song of the Month threads in the 'Your sound clips' area of the forum. Post your efforts and get some feedback from the more experienced players. You don't need to even be able to get through the entire song, I couldn't in the first few months, just the first verse is fine. The ballad this month is an easy one.

Welcome Jules, late starter myself @ 56, hope to be a rock superstar by your age lol! Have fun and enjoy your stay.. ;)

Hi Jules, welcome to the cafe. Having fun is the name of the game. Enjoy yourself.

Welcome to the new addition to the cafe's collection of CDs, coffin dodgers.

Welcome to the Good Ol' Boys Tea-Room "Jules The Aged"
I don't think I'm the oldest by any means, - only been playing for over 50 years now and became a septuagenarian a couple of weeks ago. I'm still learning. Yer never too old to learn. Rock on Jules and have fun!

Welcome Jules (the aged!) :yess:
You've picked a great instrument to play and a great model to start on.
I hope you continue to enjoy yourself.

We are a friendly, diverse bunch, with a tendency for going off at a tangent! :rofl:

It's a fun ride.

Back
Top Bottom