support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Misc, Other Bass Sax SHootout

Very interesting, and thanks for posting. No surprise to those who know me, but I much prefer the Martin to the Selmer bass sax. The Martin sounds like a real bass ala Adrian Rollini (my benchmark sound ideal for the bass), where as the Selmer seems to have more in common with a baritone in character. This isn't the only comparison test I've heard involving the Selmer bass, and my reaction was the same in those instances as well.

Of course the parts being played by each in this duet have an impact as well, with the Martin playing the more typically Rollini-ish role with the bass lines.

Still, it's very surprising to me that there is that much perceivable difference between the two tonally.

I own a Conn bass, and although I'd love to have a Martin example as well, I am grateful to have just the one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice clip. Thank you Kev!

Did Martin Company manufactor a bassax? I've been told that Martin Bassaxes were made by Conn. The one I've seen looked like a Conn with drawn and rolled toneholes.

Thomas

That's correct Thomas. My own reason for wanting a Martin branded bass sax is due to the fact that I am an ardent fan of Martin horns, and am trying to collect examples of their entire line in my lifetime.

Some have said that Martin manufactured a few examples of their own branded bass saxophones (complete with beveled, soldered tone holes etc.), but I have yet to personally examine any extant example of such a beast.

Must admit that the Martin/Conn tempts me to bypass the bari and aim for a bass. Wasn't as impressed by the Selmer sound. I think I'm going to have a meeting with one one day, but I guess it's going to be a while before it happens....

Pity there's no info on the mouthpieces - would have been interesting to hear both played by the same player, with the same mouthpiece.

Did you take a peek at the Ukelele/Bass duet linked to on the page? Rather strange and the bass player was struggling to play quietly enough, so there's a lot of tongue slap, but interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom