support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Bari Esprit Soprano mouthpiece review.

For a while I've been focussing on Soprano Mouthpiece recommendations, and have been aware that there are not that many choices at the cheaper end of the market.

I have previously used a Rico Graftonite B7 which I have found does a pretty good job. Nothing else apart from the Yamaha 4C seems to exist below £50, other than used pieces as and when they appear. With my recent reviews of Windcraft Etude Alto and Tenor mpcs, both of which were very positive experiences, I contacted Dawkes about whether a Soprano Etude would ever be forthcoming. Sadly the news was that it was unlikely to be cost-effective, and initial set up costs would be rather prohibitive.

So, on to the Bari Esprit range, which produces an exceptional Alto (Esprit II) and excellent Tenor both for £14. I ordered a Soprano Esprit for £14, post free from Ackerman Music, which arrived today. What a lovely surprise! I have been trialling it for an hour or so, comparing it with my Soprano Planet Via Coro, and it has equipped itself surprisingly well.

It is a slightly fatter mouthpiece, and made out of "durable hard composite" (matt finish). It had a really good tone, almost mellow, with no squeakiness or screechiness, and the description of "rich and vibrant" seems quite reasonable. Intonation was very good, and the sound had some depth, but not that complex overall. I played a few tenor tunes on it and it acquitted itself very well, with good body to the sound which was never that bright - almost "matt" like.

I played the Bari Esprit with my Marc Jean ligature and both Marca Jazz 3 and Alexander DC 2.5 reeds. I most enjoyed the Marca Jazz - it was a little brighter and more full bodied. The DC reed had a slightly deeper sound and
less volume, so ideal for more sombre/melancholic music.

The more I played it the more I liked it and thought that it was better than the Rico and the Yani HR I used to play.
A Big Recommendation, therefore. Amazing to see such quality at such a low price. It was a free and easy blow, and would also be an excellent beginner mouthpiece.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

Jeanette, you must have thought you might like the Bari. Why not just get some plumbers tape and try the mouthpiece. If you don't like it nothing lost just take the tape off ( its not sticky) and return the mouthpiece. But at least you will know if you like it or not..

Chris...

That sounds like a plan, thanks Chris

Jx

Most of my mouthpieces fit slightly differently. Most of my saxes have some tape around the cork so I can play all my mouthpieces. I play my Bari Esprit on my soprano, which has some tape on it - I regularly use sellotape - and many folks use a tape of one sort or another. Cork does also compact with time, and some cork is too thick and needs some filing etc. It is an imperfect world, and many of us work through it.

Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi just recieved a Bari sop mouthpiece that has been reviewed here,at moment cant get on with it at all, lots of squeaking and squawking. maybe me, probaly is,just thought i give it a go but at moment prefer my yamaha mp.Great service from Ackermann music,ordered Friday afternoon,got it saturday morning.Bumnote.

Sorry to hear that. It is likely to be one of the following reasons:

1. A dry reed is often cause of squawking/squeaking.
2. Use new reed - an older reed will have adapted to other mouthpiece.
3. The Bari Esprit has a tip opening of 0.058"; The Yamaha 4C has a tip opening of 0.045". Maybe you need a softer reed to cope with the larger tip opening.

I think that 3. is likely to come into play. What reed do you currently use?
Kind regards
Tom

Back
Top Bottom