All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Featured Reviews

M/Pieces - Ligs Bari Esprit Soprano mouthpiece review.

TomMapfumo

For a while I've been focussing on Soprano Mouthpiece recommendations, and have been aware that there are not that many choices at the cheaper end of the market.

I have previously used a Rico Graftonite B7 which I have found does a pretty good job. Nothing else apart from the Yamaha 4C seems to exist below £50, other than used pieces as and when they appear. With my recent reviews of Windcraft Etude Alto and Tenor mpcs, both of which were very positive experiences, I contacted Dawkes about whether a Soprano Etude would ever be forthcoming. Sadly the news was that it was unlikely to be cost-effective, and initial set up costs would be rather prohibitive.

So, on to the Bari Esprit range, which produces an exceptional Alto (Esprit II) and excellent Tenor both for £14. I ordered a Soprano Esprit for £14, post free from Ackerman Music, which arrived today. What a lovely surprise! I have been trialling it for an hour or so, comparing it with my Soprano Planet Via Coro, and it has equipped itself surprisingly well.

It is a slightly fatter mouthpiece, and made out of "durable hard composite" (matt finish). It had a really good tone, almost mellow, with no squeakiness or screechiness, and the description of "rich and vibrant" seems quite reasonable. Intonation was very good, and the sound had some depth, but not that complex overall. I played a few tenor tunes on it and it acquitted itself very well, with good body to the sound which was never that bright - almost "matt" like.

I played the Bari Esprit with my Marc Jean ligature and both Marca Jazz 3 and Alexander DC 2.5 reeds. I most enjoyed the Marca Jazz - it was a little brighter and more full bodied. The DC reed had a slightly deeper sound and
less volume, so ideal for more sombre/melancholic music.

The more I played it the more I liked it and thought that it was better than the Rico and the Yani HR I used to play.
A Big Recommendation, therefore. Amazing to see such quality at such a low price. It was a free and easy blow, and would also be an excellent beginner mouthpiece.

Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

jonf

Hi Tom

What sort of tip opening does it have? Looking at the Ackerman site, it looks like it comes in a single size only.

Jon

TomMapfumo

Hi Jon!

The following is taken from an SOTW thread about said mouthpiece:

" According to the BARI Associates website ( www.bari-assoc.com ), the tip opening of the soprano Esprit is supposed to be .058". It's also supposed to be hand-finished. They have a nice little rollover baffle just behind the tip rail, a little more pronounced than on other mpcs I've seen, and I think this really helps the sound a lot.

I've been one playing one as my main mpc on soprano for about a year now, and really enjoying it. I had tried several other name-brand rubber mpcs in a variety of tip openings, and nothing worked out as well. For my purposes on soprano (church orchestra and soloing), it works perfectly.

The only reason I bought mine in the first place was to try out something with a tip opening in that range."

Hope this helps
Tom

Discussion is on here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?8497-Bari-Espirit-mouthpiece

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Thanks for the review Tom.

I currently use a Rico Royal B5 which I prefer to the yamaha 4c I tried. Do you know how the Bari would compare to my Rico?

Jx

jonf

Thanks Tom, helpful as ever. I think it may be a bit on the narrow side for me. Will have to stick with my PPT..........:w00t:

TomMapfumo

Thanks for the review Tom.

I currently use a Rico Royal B5 which I prefer to the yamaha 4c I tried. Do you know how the Bari would compare to my Rico?

Jx
I rate the Bari Esprit higher than the Rico - it is in the review, but may not be obvious. I would rate it above a Yani HR.

TomMapfumo

Thanks Tom, helpful as ever. I think it may be a bit on the narrow side for me. Will have to stick with my PPT..........:w00t:
I commonly play a 0.070" mpc. A 3 reed sounded great - didn't have a problem with "narrow".

Jobylou

Thank you for posting this review Tom, as you know I am looking for a soprano mouthpiece at the moment. I am having a real problem with my straight BW - even with my mouthpiece pushed as far as it will go it is playing flat :(
I currently have a Yamaha 4C and also a Rico B5 - do you think it may be worth me trying a Bari?
I was thinking about a Vandoren, the only problem is it is an expensive game to play, unfortunately I don't live anywhere near any saxophone shops.
I am using Java 2.5s.
Thanks
Jo :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

I do not live near any sax shops either. I would heartily recommend the Bari Esprit soprano and Ackermans Music is the cheapest I've found: http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/bari-esprit-soprano-saxophone-mouthpiece.html I'll buy it off you if you don't like it. Some describe it as having a "cool, breathy" tone - it has a really lovely sound. A Java 2.5 should be hard enough to get a solid sound out of it, with good body.

From looking online most folks who have tried it prefer it to the other Bari soprano mouthpieces, which are about £75 and well thought of. I like it much more than the Rico and Yamaha efforts - even the Yamaha Custom HR was not a patch.

Happy honking!
Tom

Jobylou

Thank you for replying Tom, Ackerman are out of stock at the moment - hope you are on commission ;)
Have ordered one from John Packer - £14.97 inc p&p
Look forward to it arriving, will let you know how I get on :)
Cheers
Jo

Colin the Bear

I've recently received the bari esprit tenor mouthpiece. Very disappointed. It's very easy to play and intonation is good but the tone felt thin and weak. However switching back to the Selmer S80C*, after playing the esprit for a couple of hours it felt like a completely different mouthpiece. I was having problems with squeaks and losing control of the reed on fast passages and octave jumps.

The Esprit seems to have educated my embouchure. My tone on the S80 is richer and fatter, I can jump about at will and play as fast as my fingers will allow. I thank it for that. Who'd a thought? So for the price a good investment and maybe something for others to have in the bag. I'll get it out if I start having problems again.

I tried the rico graftonite B5 for soprano which was ok. However still searching for a solution at a budget price I ordered the rico metalite , mine is an M7. £22. I'm very pleased with it. I was so pleased I ordered one for Baritone and that is good too. Interesting, raspy, rough tone on the Baritone. Smooth a silk on the Sop.

I've ordered one for the tenor.

TomMapfumo

Hi there!

I haven't tried the Bari Esprit Tenor. I wouldn't mind giving it a go if you are up for a lend. If yes I will PM you my address. Glad that you are getting somewhere with the Metalites. I've only tried the Alto which was not my cup of tea, but not unlike the Jumbo Java.

Kind regards
Tom

Colin the Bear

Yes, why not. PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post. Might as well pass it round too if any one else wants to try it. It might be interesting to find what the consensus is.

TomMapfumo

Yes, why not. PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post. Might as well pass it round too if any one else wants to try it. It might be interesting to find what the consensus is.
PM sent. I will write a brief review, and compare it with my usual suspects (Phil-Tone, Mouthpiece Cafe and Saxscape mouthpieces).
Kind regards
Tom

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Just received my Bari Esprit for soprano but it seems to be a little too big for my sax and slides right down the cork, which would be fine except it is too sharp and won't stay in place if I pull it off. Anybody else has this problem?

Jx

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Jeanette, mouthpiece makes can be different sizes. You can use plumbers tape as a temp fix.

Chris..

Colin the Bear

A re cork is the best solution. Not that hard to do yourself. Another trick is to warm the cork with a match or cigarette lighter. This will make it expand. Bare in mind, warm it , don't burn it.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Thanks Guys, but my other two mouthpieces fit quite snug so I am not sure I want to mess with it. I am thinking of returning it. I just assumed they would all be standard sizes.

Jx

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Jeanette, you must have thought you might like the Bari. Why not just get some plumbers tape and try the mouthpiece. If you don't like it nothing lost just take the tape off ( its not sticky) and return the mouthpiece. But at least you will know if you like it or not..

Chris...

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom