Tutorials

Any Tips for Arranging a Piano Piece for Saxophone Quartet ?

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

There was a good arrangement of this done by Nigel Wood for Saxtet in the early ‘90’s. actually it’s from a George Shearing piano book and is a virtual transcription. It works well because the ‘jazz’ has already been done by Shearing and also his version has nice inner movement, and a great bass line so everyone is happy. I did a version myself as I used the book for 2nd study at college.
Sounds interesting @Pete Effamy - which tune are you referring to here ? I would like to get hold of it.

I also thought that this jazz performance by Andre Previn might work well for quartet/quintet, for the same reasons.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Searching on the Saxtet site, it says that this sax ensemble arrangement was based on a George Shearing recording, so maybe that's the one.

On YouTube there seem to be loads of different pianists playing the Shearing arrangement, such as:

I guess it helps having more that 4 sax voices to use.

Rhys

Last edited:

Pete Effamy

Searching on the Saxtet site, it says that this sax ensemble arrangement was based on a George Shearing recording, so maybe that's the one.

On YouTube there seem to be loads of different pianists playing the Shearing arrangement, such as:

I guess it helps having more that 4 sax voices to use.

Rhys
Sorry Rhys - Just The Way You Are. It’s excellent.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Sorry Rhys - Just The Way You Are. It’s excellent.
I didn’t know Shearing had recorded that song.

I would love to see either your or Nigel Wood’s arrangements. I can’t find the Wood one on the Saxtet website or elsewhere online. I wonder whether it is commercially available.

Rhys

Dibbs

Sounds interesting @Pete Effamy - which tune are you referring to here ? I would like to get hold of it.

I also thought that this jazz performance by Andre Previn might work well for quartet/quintet, for the same reasons.

Rhys
That's stunning. Swings like hell. I love it. |'ve actually got that album but I haven't listened to it for years. I'd forgotten how good Mr. Preview was.

Pete Effamy

I didn’t know Shearing had recorded that song.

I would love to see either your or Nigel Wood’s arrangements. I can’t find the Wood one on the Saxtet website or elsewhere online. I wonder whether it is commercially available.

Rhys
My mate was on Alto for Saxtet in their early days - 1988/9? And they recorded a “demo”. Not sure how commercially available it was, I had a copy through my mate.
It was on that album. I knew where it came from because The George Shearing Piano book, or some name like that was used at Leeds College of Music in the ‘80’s

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

My mate was on Alto for Saxtet in their early days - 1988/9? And they recorded a “demo”. Not sure how commercially available it was, I had a copy through my mate.
It was on that album. I knew where it came from because The George Shearing Piano book, or some name like that was used at Leeds College of Music in the ‘80’s
Maybe I should contact Nigel Wood and see whether he has the arrangement.

I guess that there might be copyright issues if the arrangement is basically an adaptation of a transcriber's work from a pianist's version of a composition by Billy Joel.

I think the book of transcriptions was possibly "The Genius of George Shearing" The Genius of George Shearing:Amazon:Books . I haven't found the Shearing recording from which it was taken, but I may have found a midi file which could save me time if I wanted to do my own adaptation.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

That's stunning. Swings like hell. I love it. |'ve actually got that album but I haven't listened to it for years. I'd forgotten how good Mr. Preview was.
Yes, I love it. It sounds as though he had worked it out in advance and it is beautifully executed. As you say, it swings and I'm sure having Shelley Manne on the drums helps.

Rhys

Pete Effamy

I guess that there might be copyright issues if the arrangement is basically an adaptation of a transcriber's work from a pianist's version of a composition by Billy Joel.
I'm not sure that there is if you're not selling it in any shape or form. Just for you and some pals to perform is fine I think - anyone quote copyright for sure?

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

I'm not sure that there is if you're not selling it in any shape or form. Just for you and some pals to perform is fine I think - anyone quote copyright for sure?
I meant that copyright concerns might explain why Nigel Wood seems not to have made that arrangement commercially available.

I have tried contacting Saxtet about that arrangement and I dropped the names of both @Pete Thomas and @Pete Effamy so they've got to be impressed.

Rhys

Pete Effamy

Maybe I should contact Nigel Wood and see whether he has the arrangement.

I think the book of transcriptions was possibly "The Genius of George Shearing" The Genius of George Shearing:Amazon:Books . I haven't found the Shearing recording from which it was taken, but I may have found a midi file which could save me time if I wanted to do my own adaptation.

Rhys
@rhysonsax - I completely forgot that I had recorded the Shearing/Saxtet arrangement of Just The Way You Are with a mate of mine, probably 12/15 years ago. Neither of us have a baritone so he played the part on bass clarinet. I'm on soprano and alto... maybe tenor - we played with a similar slant so I can't tell!

We also did a mad arrangement of Sweet Georgia Brown. My soprano back then was an Academy £100 job that I got from Robbie in the pre-Jericho days. It played ridiculously well but it was really tight at the bottom end and I used to get a headache from playing it! Anyway, you can hear a few squeaks here and there. Now to work out how to imbed mp3...

https://soundcloud.com/peter-effamy%2Fjust-the-way-you-are-shearingsaxtet-arrangement View: https://soundcloud.com/peter-effamy/just-the-way-you-are-shearingsaxtet-arrangement

https://soundcloud.com/peter-effamy%2Fsweet-georgia-brown-sax-quartet View: https://soundcloud.com/peter-effamy/sweet-georgia-brown-sax-quartet

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Really nice @Pete Effamy . The Shearing-derived arrangement is quite different to the original Billy Joel recording but interesting and must be fun to play.

I didn't hear back from Saxtet about the arrangement for "Just the Way You Are" so assume it is not commercially available.

Rhys

Jazzaferri

One of the things that helped me a lot is a study of contrapuntal technique and rules. Keeping in mind that rules are meant to be broken, but you have to know them in order to break em.

Pete Effamy

Really nice @Pete Effamy . The Shearing-derived arrangement is quite different to the original Billy Joel recording but interesting and must be fun to play.

I didn't hear back from Saxtet about the arrangement for "Just the Way You Are" so assume it is not commercially available.

Rhys
These are really fun to play. I used to see the bass clarinet/sax player mate of mine once every few months and we'd usually make a day of playing and chewing the fat etc. There are mistakes for everyone to hear in these recordings but we knocked them out in a few hours warts and all.

Disappointing that Saxtet couldn't be bothered to reply. Anyway, other doors....

Top Bottom