support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Antigua 590 Soprano

eliotttanner

Looking at entering into Soprano world. Not looking to use as a main instrument, just something to play around on until I can afford to buy a good quality one. I know there are various issues with sopranos with intonation and so on. Heard some good things about these Sops so just wanted to see if anyone can speak from personal experience. I know Sops require a lot of money to get a decent one that doesn't struggle as much with intonation so this is a low budget one that apparently plays well.

Thanks

I think they are Taiwanese copies of a Yanagisawa.
As far as I know, the good ones are very good, but not every one is a good one.
Intonation is the thing to watch out for.

Looking at entering into Soprano world. Not looking to use as a main instrument, just something to play around on until I can afford to buy a good quality one. I know there are various issues with sopranos with intonation and so on. Heard some good things about these Sops so just wanted to see if anyone can speak from personal experience. I know Sops require a lot of money to get a decent one that doesn't struggle as much with intonation so this is a low budget one that apparently plays well.
I cannot find a 590 for sale, new, in a brief internet search. Is this one new ? How much is it ???

I cannot find a 590 for sale, new, in a brief internet search. Is this one new ? How much is it ???

No not new, used but good condition. Think it might have had an overhaul. ! All descriptions looked good and it seemed he knew what he was talking about. He threw in a mouthpiece and accepted offer of 280 so it was a no brainer for me!

Last edited:
Also, Just another question. I play 3;5 vandorens on my tenor (8 mpc), and the mpc is a yamaha 5c, should I expect to move down or up in reed strength when switching to sop? Or should I repeat process of trying to find the right one. Thanks

Also, Just another question. I play 3;5 vandorens on my tenor (8 mpc), and the mpc is a yamaha 5c, should I expect to move down or up in reed strength when switching to sop? Or should I repeat process of trying to find the right one. Thanks
Depends. Tip opening numbers are NOT consistent from maker to maker...so one brand's #3 will be another's #5, one's 5* might be another's 8, etc....What kinda mouthpiece is your tenor mouthpiece ?

Generally if you are playing a hard reed on an open tip (and again I dunno if your #8 tip IS open or just sorta in the middle), you don't wanna go to a softer reed on a more closed tip....

But this is complicated by moving from Tenor to Sop.

Soprano embouchure is more clarinet-like than tenor-like, so perhaps a significant reed adjustment may be needed....

Yamaha 5C should be fine for sop. Sop intonation is generally easier on a closed mouthpiece. Reed strength is generally higher on closed MPC but no-one really needs stronger than a 2.5 on a 5C anyway.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom